Commander, Naval Surface and Mine Warfare Development Center (SMWDC) About Us
The security interests of the United States and
those of our allies are increasingly challenged. As emphasized
in the National Defense Strategy, the maritime domain continues
to grow in importance -- becoming more heavily used, more
stressed, and more contested than ever before in an era of
renewed great power competition. The mission of the United
States Navy is to be ready to conduct prompt and sustained
combat incident to operations at sea. Our Navy will protect
America from attack and preserve America’s strategic influence
in key regions of the world. To accomplish this mission, the CNO
has established four priorities: warfighting, learning faster,
strengthening our Navy and Joint team, and building
partnerships. Commander, Naval Surface Forces has issued the
charge that the Surface Forces “OWN THE FIGHT” and that we
strive to be the best, the fastest, the toughest and the
smartest Naval Force. SMWDC plays an integral role in bringing
this vision to life and sustaining it.
Increase the lethality and tactical proficiency of the Surface Force across all domains.
SMWDC matures into an elite organization that continues to
learn while accomplishing our mission with enthusiasm and
- We are ONE TEAM!... All SMWDC personnel have an important role and are valued equally.
- Ship Crews and Warfare Commander Staffs are the "Center of the Universe." We will do everything possible to give them the
tactics, confidence & competence to fight and win.
- Teamwork and effective communication are critical to success. We will adhere to these principles within SMWDC and amongst
- Advanced Tactical Training
- Doctrine and tactical guidance
- Operational support to Combatant Commanders, Numbered Fleet Commanders and Task Force
- Capability assessments, experimentation and