USS Halsey
Hit Hard * Hit Fast * Hit Often
Welcome Aboard USS Halsey (DDG 97)

Reporting Aboard
When does my sea pay start?  Upon checking onboard. For amount, please

When do we get underway/deploy next?  Please contact your sponsor or the sponsor coordinator.

Where do I report if the Halsey is underway?  Report to 32nd Street Naval Station Transient Personnel Unit (TPU), BLDG 3142/Burton Hall (dry-side) to coordinate further travel arrangements.

What is needed when I check onboard?  Though a good idea to have all personal belongings onboard and ready to get underway, you are required to keep a full seabag onboard.

May I get a tour of the ship prior to my report date?  Absolutely, please contact your sponsor to make arrangements to ensure the ship is in port. 

I have not received a Welcome Aboard Message, who do I contact?  Please contact the sponsor coordinator

Do I need to report in uniform?  Yes, you are required to report onboard in Dress Blues/Dress Whites. 

Is there a gym onboard?  Yes. We have a freshly refurbished Weight Room and Cardio Workout Room onboard. 

Where should I look for a place of residence for my family and I?  Please contact you sponsor, they should be able to point you in the right direction. An abundant amount of information regarding schools, crime rate, amenities, community, price range, etc. can be found online, links can be found for some of the resources on our “links” page. 

What pier is the ship berthed at?  Contact your sponsor for up to date information or security upon entrance to Naval Base San Diego as they have a current listing. You may also call base information at (619)556-1011. 

If I'm being flown out to meet the ship, what items should I bring?  Bring a full seabag and any personal hygiene items you may need. For more ideas or questions about specifics, please contact your sponsor. 

Will I be able to contact my family while underway?  Yes. The ship has email and U.S. Postal Service onboard. HALSEY is also equipped with a Sailor Phone. 

If something happens to a family member while I'm underway and they need me, what should they do?  Have them contact the American Red Cross. They are able to contact the ship if the service member’s family is in distress. 

How do I get a Command Ball cap?  The Command Master Chief will present you with the Command Ball Cap upon your check in.

If you have any questions or problems, please contact the Command Master Chief at (619)556-4011 inport or (619)545-2105 underway. You may also contact him via email at

US Navy Recruiting | US Navy | US Marine Corps | Navy Reserves | Individual Augmentee
No Fear Act | FOIA | | Veterans Crisis Line | Vote | DoD SafeHelpline
This is an official United States Navy Website. This US Government system is subject to monitoring. Please read our Privacy Policy and Section 508/Accessibility Statement.

The appearance of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Department of Defense, or the United States Department of the Navy of the linked web sites, or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the United States Department of Defense, the Department of the Navy  does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD web site.