Welcome Aboard USS CHAFEE USS Chafee
Team Chafee is excited to have you joining us in Hawaii.

To contact the ship, call the quarter deck at: (808) 474-9897

If you are in need of a sponsor, use the proper link provided.   Sponsor Coordinator

Below is listed some important info that you should review before you transfer:

You are assigned a sponsor to give you a point of contact to help with your move. The key to a smooth transition is your sponsor, who in turn can help arrange your TLA accommodations, provide transportation from the airport, check you in to the command and provide you with general information about the community and on-station facilities. Contact your sponsor as soon as possible to make sure your move is as smooth as possible.

Hotel reservations
It is advisable to make reservations well in advance. Your sponsor can help you, although you will be required to finalize your reservation with the hotel of your choice. Hotel accommodations are usually plentiful except during the high tourist seasons (December-March and May-August), so make your reservations early. Accommodations must be Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) approved.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)
TLA is an allowance to help offset the cost of living in hotels during your PCS move. TLA is based on the per diem rate and paid in ten-day increments. TLA is not paid in advance, but is paid after filing a completed claim with receipts and endorsements. Most TLA approved hotels will allow you to pay your bill after you are reimbursed. It's still advisable to have at least $1,500 in traveler's checks to meet immediate off-base living expenses. TLA is authorized for all command sponsored military personnel arriving on Permanent Change of Station orders pending availability of government housing, or pending completion of permanent living arrangements. TLA commences the date your PCS orders are endorsed as having reported aboard. It is imperative that you have your orders endorsed with the time and date reported as soon as possible after arriving on island. You will not be reimbursed for any days of temporary lodging prior to the report date endorsed on your orders.

Advanced application for housing
You can make your initial appointment with the housing office as far as 30 days in advance of your arrival on the island. This initial appointment can be made by you or by your sponsor. Upon checking in to PSD, the Administration Office will provide you with a copy of your PCS Orders showing the time and date you reported, a copy of your detaching endorsement showing when you detached your last command and a copy of your Page 2. You will need these documents to check in to the Navy Family Housing Office.

Animal Quarantine
If you are planning on bringing a pet to Hawaii, it is imperative that you or your sponsor contact the Animal Quarantine Station and request an animal quarantine information packet be sent to you as soon as possible. Hawaii is a rabies free state and has a strict quarantine law to protect residents and pets.

Pets in housing
Authorized pets in military housing include: dogs, cats, guinea pigs, domestic rabbits, white mice and white rats (indigenous to the United States), caged birds, fish and other cold-blooded animals sold commercially in Hawaii. Residents of family housing are permitted a maximum of two pets (with the exception of puppies and kittens under the age of eight weeks). Keep in mind that it is difficult to obtain an off-base rental lease that allows pets. All dogs four months of age and over must be licensed by the City and County of Honolulu and wear a collar with the city and county dog tag attached. Licenses must be renewed on or before the expiration date of current tags. Applications for the license may be obtained from the Hawaii Humane Society or any Satellite City Hall. All cats are required to have an identification tag on their collar with the owner’s name, address and telephone number.

Prohibited pets
Prohibited pets include gerbils, hamsters, mongoose, monkeys, white mice and white rats (foreign source), wild rabbits, game or hunting birds, pigeons, doves, poultry, Aztec dwarf parrots, Vietnamese Pot Bellied Pigs, Monk parakeets and certain Myna species. All snakes are prohibited in the state. Breeding of all animals is prohibited.

Shipment of household goods
Accompanied members are authorized to ship their full weight allowance, but should be advised that homes in Hawaii, both on and off base, are small compared to the mainland. In other words, you may not have enough space for all your belongings. You are advised to leave personally owned ranges and refrigerators, oversize pieces of furniture, extra furniture and cold weather clothing and equipment in storage on the mainland.

Large appliances
All Navy Housing units are equipped with a refrigerator, range, washer and dryer. Ranges and refrigerators are provided for use on base and in private rental housing when not provided by the landlord as part of the rental agreement. Consider bringing lawn care equipment such as lawn mowers and weed eaters, etc. These items are available for use to family housing residents through self-help stores, but may not be available at the time you want them.

Express shipment
You are authorized an unaccompanied baggage shipment (often called an express shipment). This shipment should be limited to clothing, linens, dishes, towels, cooking utensils and other house keeping items. You may also ship cribs, playpens, baby carriages and articles necessary for the immediate care of your children. Small radios, portable televisions, sewing machines and small appliances may also be shipped.

Automobile shipments
Each service member is authorized to ship one privately owned vehicle at government expense. You must have permission from the lien holder to transport the vehicle to Hawaii. If the vehicle is co-registered, you must also show that person’s permission to ship the vehicle. If you are shipping a privately owned vehicle (POV) it will require approximately 60 days from the east coast or 21 days from the west coast to reach Oahu. All personal vehicles must be safety inspected and registered within 10 days after arrival on the island.


All flights lead to the Honolulu International Airport located about two miles southeast of Naval Station Pearl Harbor’s main gate. The airport is 9 miles (14.4 km) west of Waikiki Beach and 4 miles (6.4 km) west of central Honolulu. Travel time to Waikiki is approximately 15-20 minutes by car during non-rush hour. Your sponsor will most likely be the one greeting you at the airport and will help you get settled into your initial accommodations.

Pet Arrival
Pets may only enter Hawaii at the Honolulu International Airport, Oahu. Upon arrival in Hawaii, airline personnel will transport all dogs and cats directly to the Airport Animal Holding Facility. Hawaii has strict quarantine and entry requirements. For current information, contact the Hawaii Department of Agriculture, Division of Animal Industry, 99-941 Halawa Valley Street, Aiea, HI 96701, phone: (808)483-7100.

United Serviceman’s Organization (USO)
The USO is located at the Honolulu International Airport, is available for use by all military personnel and their family members, reservists on active duty, retirees and Department of Defense civilians on orders. Located between Baggage Claims E and F, the center is open from 8 a.m. to midnight.

Get your orders stamped
Report directly to the ship. If the ship is deployed or underway, report to Transit Personnel Unit (TPU), Bldg. 1753, Naval Station Pearl Harbor.

Transportation from the airport
Oahu has an excellent public transportation system, appropriately named “The Bus”, which should serve most of your needs if you do not have a rental vehicle. Fees are $1.00 for adults, $.50 for children and students (up to high school). You can buy a for a 4-day Oahu Discovery Passport (Available at all ABC Stores) for $10.

Approximately $20.00-$25.00 from the airport to Waikiki during the non-rush hour period.

Airport Motor Coach
Transportation from the airport to any hotel in Waikiki is operated by Airport Express. Cost of a one-way trip: Adults: $8.00 ($13.00 Round Trip). Children: 3 years old & below are free.

Rental cars
SATO Travel office also has cooperative agreements with local commercial car rental agencies. Prices range from $28.00 to $58.00. For current information, call your local SATO Travel office or call the Pearl Harbor office. The minimum renter age for both is 21 years.

Checking in your records
Your first day on the job should be focused on turning in your service records. This starts the process of pay and entitlements. You will need to update your Page 2 and turn in your travel claim. The Administrative Office will assist you in filling out these documents. The Personal Support Detachment business hours are 0730 -1500, Monday through Friday (ID Cards are open until 1600). The Detachment is located at 4827 Bougainville Drive, Honolulu, HI 96818.

Family Housing
Counselors on the Aloha Team at the Navy Family Housing Aloha Center will assist you process through the housing office. As a reminder, you must first check onto the ship and have your orders stamped so that you can begin TLA. Within 72 hours of arriving to Hawaii, bring your orders in to the housing office. Failure to do may result in your having to pay for the initial days of your hotel stay. You will also need the detaching endorsement from your last permanent command and a copy of your page two. Also, while you are on TLA, declination of any housing offer will stop your TLA benefits within 10 days. The office is located in the Navy Aloha Center, 988 Spence Street, Building 2652, Honolulu, HI 96818-3676. Office hours are from 6:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Wednesday hours are from 6:45 - 11:30 a.m. See Chapter Two for more information regarding the types of housing available.

Picking up your Personal POV
Your personal POV will be shipped to Sand Island, Honolulu located at the Fleet and Industrial Supply Center (FISC). Once your POV has arrived on island, take the Sand Island Access Road from Nimitz Highway. Continue until you cross 2 stop lights. Take the first left turn into the fenced roadway, which is marked with two signs: ‘Matson Navigations Company’ and ‘Matson Autos.’ Continue on this roadway, following the Autos signs.

Registering your vehicle in Hawaii
All automobiles used on the highway must be registered with the state within 10 days of arrival. If you are not a legal resident of Hawaii, you may keep your original vehicle license plates, but you must register your car to get a Hawaii vehicle permit sticker. To complete vehicle registration, you are required to have proof of ownership or certificate of registration; shipping documents and Hawaii no-fault insurance coverage. Additionally, Hawaii requires annual safety inspections for vehicles; valid identification card; and Non-resident Certificate Form DFL50 (to be signed by the Commanding Officer verifying your home of record as reflected in your service record).

Driver’s License
Driver’s licenses issued by your home state are generally valid in Hawaii until they expire. If you wish to apply for a Hawaii driver’s license, you must present your Social Security card and current out-of-state license. If your out-of state license has expired, you will also be required to file an application form, complete a written examination, pass an eye test, and pass a road test. Your original license will not be returned.

Base Decal
To drive your vehicle on a military installation, you must obtain a military base decal by registering at the pass and identification office of the base to which you are assigned. When registering, you will need your Military ID card, registration of vehicle with the State of Hawaii or a state tax exemption certificate, valid driver’s license, as appropriate for automobile, motorcycle or motor scooter, Hawaii safety check receipt; and proof of Hawaii no-fault insurance.
US Navy Recruiting | US Navy | US Marine Corps | Navy Reserves | Individual Augmentee
No Fear Act | FOIA | USA.gov | Veterans Crisis Line | Vote | DoD SafeHelpline
This is an official United States Navy Website. This US Government system is subject to monitoring. Please read our Privacy Policy and Section 508/Accessibility Statement.

The appearance of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Department of Defense, or the United States Department of the Navy of the linked web sites, or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the United States Department of Defense, the Department of the Navy  does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD web site.