Orders to Gridley

Welcome Aboard!


Team GRIDLEY is excited to have you joining us!

Below is some important info that you should review before you transfer.


You will be assigned a sponsor to give you a point of contact to help with your move. The key to a smooth transition is your sponsor who will arrange transportation from the airport to the command, check you in to the command, and provide you with general information about the community and on-station facilities. Contact your sponsor as soon as possible to make sure your move is as smooth as possible.

Transient Perosnnel Unit (TPU)

Transient Personnel Unit San Diego's mission is to expeditiously process Sailors through the administrative, regular transfer, discipline and medical pipelines for command that, because of deployment or overseas location, cannot provide appropriate facilitation themselves. If the Ship is underway when you arrive, report to (TPU) located in two buildings on Naval Station San Diego. The first is Building 57 on the "wet side" of Naval Station San Diego. The second facility is Building 3142, also known as Burnton Hall, on the "Dry Side" of Naval Station. the building is located directly opposite of the Naval Station Galley. TPU will provide you with assistance with getting to the ship. For information regarding TPU please visit: https://www.cnic.navy.mil/cnrsw/Programs/TPU/index.htm.


Temporary Navy and Marine Corps quarters is not available in the San Diego area. Military families must depend upon local hotel and motel accommodations or the Navy and Marine Corps Lodge.

We recommend you make advance hotel and motel reservations in order to ensure you have a place to stay while seeking permanent housing.

There are two Navy and one Marine Corps Lodges in the San Diego area:
 -  Naval Base (32nd Street)
 -  Naval Air Station North Island, and
 -  Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.

The approximate cost of a unit at any of the lodges in the area is $59 to $73 per day. A unit accommodates a maximum of five people if one child is of crib age. Families larger than this must rent two units, if available. For more information visit the CNIC website.

Call toll free for reservations and information, (800) 628-9466 or visit the web site: https://www.navy-lodge.com/

Civilian hotels and motels are available in all price ranges. Many of them exceed the cost of the Navy and Marine Corps Lodge especially during the summer months. Some civilian hotel and motel accommodations offer special military rates and some are available on a weekly basis.

Bachelor Quarters

The Regional Bachelor Housing (BH) team manages more than 12,000 rooms throughout the region. BHs throughout the region have garnered many awards for quality and service. Many have earned the coveted Zumwalt Five Star Accreditation award presented by Commander Navy Installation. Still more have earned either the Gold, Silver or Bronze Pineapple award for their training excellence in the performance plus training program administered by the Educational Institute of the Hotel/Motel Association. Visit our Web site at www.DONlodging.org.

Housing Relocation Services

The Department of Defense relies on the local community to provide the majority of housing occupied by military personnel and their families. Since military family housing is only built when there is a shortage of suitable, affordable housing in the private sector, most military families live in off-base rental or privately-owned properties. In San Diego, 80 percent of military families live in housing in the private sector. Many prefer to become homeowners.

While the average cost of housing in San Diego is high, opportunities to purchase or rent are available throughout the county.

The housing stock is incredibly varied as communities within the county range from rural to urban. Single family homes, condos, townhouses and apartments are available throughout the private sector.

Locating affordable private sector housing is most challenging for junior enlisted personnel, large families or families with pets. The San Diego Military Housing Welcome Center serves to provide military personnel, DoD civilians and their family members a pleasant transition to and from San Diego. The center falls under the cognizance of Commander Navy Region Southwest and is staffed with people who care about quality service.

A variety of housing services offered by the San Diego Housing Welcome Center include:

• Arrival services
• Housing information packages
• PCS check-in for housing
• Central automated listings of rental and sales properties
• Hardship assistance counseling for special needs
• Application for government quarters and waiting list
• Interface with base and community support agencies
• Easy access to and from Navy and Marine Corps bases and all areas of San Diego
• General community information on utilities and schools
• Information on vehicle registration
• Rental Assistance program information
• Housing information briefings
• Realty services, purchasing a home, home-buying counseling and workshops
• Home selling and property management counseling

Military Housing

Now that you have temporary lodging, the Family Housing Office is your next important stop. They provide referral assistance for all personnel attached to San Diego commands.

There are currently 9,044 government-owned homes throughout San Diego, some housing sites have very short waiting lists. Personnel should plan to rent in the civilian community until military housing is available. Housing referral specialists will help you locate homes to buy or rent which best suit your needs.

The Chief of Naval Operations requires all military members to check in with the Housing Referral Service Office prior to negotiating any off-base rental or lease agreement.

Office hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday, call (619) 556-8443; DSN, 526-8443; fax, (619) 556-8012/9974, or write to Commander, Navy Region Southwest, Military Family Housing, 2625 Lehardy St., Building 3544, San Diego, CA 92136-5182.

Welcome aboard information is also available through the housing website at http://www.cnic.navy.mil/cnrsw/index.htm. This site contains both housing and community information.

Applying For Government Housing

All officers and enlisted personnel accompanied by their bona fide family members are eligible to apply for military family housing.

To apply for government quarters, you will need a DD Form 1746 (Application for Assignment to Housing), a copy of orders showing your detachment date, and certification of bona fide family members. Examples of bona fide family members are those individuals listed on an Emergency Data Form or Page 2 in your official service record; NavPers 10070/602, Dependency Action Status; or a DD 1172, Application for Uniformed Services Identification card (DEERS enrollment). Application may be made in person or submitted by mail. Those submitted by mail must be confirmed within 30 days of reporting to San Diego.

If you have a family member who is in need of a wheelchair access unit, documentation from your family member's physician should be included along with your housing application form and transfer orders. You should also identify any other medical requirements when you submit your application.

Your control date (effective date of application) determines your placement on the housing waiting list. The control date will usually be your date of detachment from your last permanent duty station, if the application is received within 30 days of your arrival at your San Diego duty station.

Personnel who apply for MFH will receive a written acknowledgement indicating the approximate times only and this can fluctuate rapidly.

You (or a member of your immediate family) must confirm an advance quarters application within 30 days of reporting for duty or arrival in the San Diego area. Failure to confirm will result in the cancellation of your application.

Most of the homes in each site are equipped with a dishwasher, hook-ups for washer and dryers, smoke detectors, ranges, refrigerators and garbage disposals. Fenced yards, balconies or patios are maintained by the residents. Pet polices vary from site to site.

Ask a housing specialist for more information if you are eligible and interested in applying for MFH. More information can be found in the CNIC (Commander Navy Region South West) website.

Civilian Housing

The Military Family Housing Office maintains a free listing service with a database consisting of more than 4,000 rental and for sale properties. The service is available to all married and single personnel as well as DoD civilians.

Referral specialists provide current information on current rental costs, deposit fees, location, public transportationavailability, crime rates, school statistics and other facts about civilian housing in

San Diego. A counselor will interview you to help you determine your personal and family needs regarding affordable housing in San Diego.

Tenant/Landlord Mediation

In an effort to maintain good community relations while assisting military families, the Housing Referral Office assists in mediating tenant and landlord complaints involving military personnel.

Housing specialists are available to advise you about your rights and responsibilities as a renter. These specialists will provide check-off sheets to document the condition of the residence during your moving process.

If the landlord or tenant expects problems, the specialists will accompany the parties in dispute on the checkout inspection. This is often helpful in preventing legal action.

Security Deposit Guarantee Program

This program enables E-1 to E-5 to spread the cost of their security deposit throughout the term of their lease. Instead of one large payment, smaller amounts are paid each month.

Home Buying Assistance

Real Estate counseling services are available at the San Diego Housing Office for personnel in buying or selling a home. These services are for active-duty personnel and their families or DoD personnel with PCS orders to the San Diego area. Information on topics such as veteran assistance and Cal-Vet Home Loan Programs, home buying workshops, and first-time, home-buyer assistance are available on a first come, first serve basis, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Local market information, lending programs, and a list of qualified service providers are also available to help families understand the home buying and financing process. For more information, call (619) 556-9970, or DSN, 526-9970.

Utility Assistance Programs

Information is available regarding various utility subsidy and military discount programs. Points of contact and telephone numbers for gas, electric, water and telephone connections are also available in the Military Family Housing Office.

Personal Property Shipping Office

The Fleet and Industrial Supply Center San Diego (FISCSD)Personal Property Shipping Office is located in building 3376, Naval Base San Diego next to the Military Family Housing Office, up the hill from the commissary. Business hours are Monday to Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Fridays 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. (excluding holidays). Call 619-556-6683 or toll free (888) 216-5733 to schedule an appointment. Personal Property Offices are also located at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar - (858) 577-1044; and Marine Corps Recruit Depot - (619) 524-5360.

Vehicle Processing Center (VPC), Naval Base San Diego

The Full Service Vehicle Processing Center (VPC) located at 4334 Sheridan Lane, San Diego, CA 92120, and will accept and process both Inbound and Outbound POVs. Directions to the VPC location as well as information regarding vehicle transport status, turn-in requirements, vehicle storage status, storage removal, and Frequently Asked Questions can be found at www.whereismypov.com. Or call, (619) 563-6321 or (877) 344-8972, fax number is (619) 563-6320.


Driving Government Vehicles In California

Many military personnel are required to drive a government vehicle during their workday. All military drivers under the age of 26 must take an eight-hour driver improvement course before they can operate a government-owned vehicle.

Vehicle Registration

Laws vary from state to state. You are advised to stop by the nearest Department of Motor Vehicles Office for a handbook.

Out-of-state vehicle registration for military personnel is valid until its regular expiration date. Upon expiration, the vehicle registration may be renewed in your home state or an application can be made for a California vehicle registration. DMV will request the out-of-state title, last issued registration and the license plates. Contact the DMV listed in the telephone directory.

Unregistered vehicles in the name of the service member assigned to duty in the state must apply for California registration. Fees, taxes and a smog impact fee are due if the vehicle was not built to state emissions standards. A smog certificate and proof of car insurance is also required to register vehicles and obtain a base decal. This applies whether your vehicle is registered in California or out of state. An odometer disclosure is required to register or transfer a motor vehicle. The law authorizes the DMV to refuse to register, renew or transfer a vehicle when the odometer reading is not provided.

Driver's license

Active-duty personnel arriving in California may legally drive with a valid and unexpired driver's license from another state. Family members are afforded the same privilege, but may find that their status is not as clearly defined. Check DMV regarding the regulations as applied to your individual case.

First-time driver license applicants will need to provide the DMV with proof of their legal U.S. residency before a license can be issued. A military identification card meets this requirement.

Know Before You Go

California has enacted some strict laws that could affect you almost immediately if you drink and drive. These laws apply even if you hold an out-of-state license.The zero tolerance measure makes it illegal for anyone under the age of 21 with a blood alcohol content of .01 or higher to drive a vehicle and reuires DMV to immediately suspend the violator's license for one year. Any police officer, who has reasonable cause to believe the under 21-year-old driver has been drinking, has the authority to take his or her license on the spot if the driver refuses to take preliminary alcohol screening test.

Adults are prohibited from allowing a minor to drive a vehicle when the adult knew, or should have known, that the minor was intoxicated at the time.

If you are convicted of driving under the influence, or driving under the influence causing injury or death within seven years of a previous conviction for the same offense, the law requires courts to prohibit you from operating a vehicle unless it is equipped with a functioning ignition interlock devise.

In these cases, your vehicle can be and usually is impounded if you drive without a valid license.

Seatbelts and Safety Seats

Seat belts are mandatory both on military installations and in the state of California. Drivers and all passengers over four years of age should be restrained with a seat belt. Exemptions apply only to vehicles not required to have them at the time of first sale.

Children under the age of four years or under 40 pounds must be properly secured and fastened using federally authorized safety seats. These seats are readily available in all exchanges. Safety seats can also be borrowed at no cost by all military families E-4 and below from the Armed Service YMCA for up to three months at a time. The ASYMCA is listed in the telephone directory section of this publication.

Pass and Decal

All military installations issue Department of Defense decals that are honored on all other stations. To get a decal for naval installations in the area, you'll need to go to the Pass and Decal Office at your particular base.

For either a decal or a temporary pass, you will need to show your automobile registration, driver's license, military identification card and proof of insurance. Liability insurance is mandatory in California, and you must be insured for a minimum of $15,000 bodily injury (per person), $30,000 bodily injury (per accident), and $10,000 property damage (per accident).

Motorcycle Safety

If you ride a motorcycle on military installations, you must wear an ANSI-approved helmet with the chin strap firmly fastened, shoes or boots with leather sides and hard rubber or leather soles, full finger gloves, full-length trousers and a long-sleeve shirt or jacket. A yellow or orange reflective vest with a 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch wide vertical or horizontal reflective stripe in front and back must be worn as an outer garment.
You must also have the headlight on.

All motorcycle drivers on Naval Base San Diego must attend a motorcycle safety course. Temporary decals, valid for 30 days, may be obtained if the rider has written proof they registered for the safety course.

Bicycle Safety

Helmets are required for bicyclists on Naval Base San Diego. Bicycles must be registered with the state of California. There are several locations for the mandatory safety checks and registration:

Any fire station in San Diego from 8 a.m. to noon, 1 to 5 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. every day. Registration costs $2 and is good for two years.

Any fire station in Chula Vista or the Chula Vista Police Department from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday. Registration costs $4 and is good for three years.


For those reporting to Naval Base San Diego, firearms are not allowed on the base at any time.

If you are assigned to live in bachelor's quarters and own a firearm; you need to make other storage arrangements. They will not be allowed in your vehicle as well. The penalty for violating the base firearm policy may include loss of base driving privileges and barring your vehicle from entering military installations.

US Navy Recruiting | US Navy | US Marine Corps | Navy Reserves | Individual Augmentee
No Fear Act | FOIA | USA.gov | Veterans Crisis Line | Vote | DoD SafeHelpline
This is an official United States Navy Website. This US Government system is subject to monitoring. Please read our Privacy Policy and Section 508/Accessibility Statement.

The appearance of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Department of Defense, or the United States Department of the Navy of the linked web sites, or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the United States Department of Defense, the Department of the Navy  does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD web site.