USS Lake Champlain
Ingenuity - Daring - Discipline




CONGRATULATIONS! You have orders to USS LAKE CHAMPLAIN in sunny southern California! This page will assist you in transitioning to your new command and to San Diego. You will be assigned a sponsor; who is generally someone of the same rate and similar rank. You will also be receiving a welcome aboard letter from your sponsor and a welcome aboard packet. Your sponsor has been assigned to you because of their experience and knowledge so use this source of information! The most important thing you can do is to communicate with your sponsor throughout your PCS move, they will be your means to a successful transition.

 Before Arrival

Applying for Navy Housing:
Interested in living in Navy housing? You can make your initial appointment with the housing office as far as 30 days in advance of your arrival. This initial appointment can be made by you or by your sponsor. The best way is to request an appointment is via the website. While checking in to PSD, the Administration Office will provide you with a copy of your PCS Orders showing the time and date you reported, a copy of your detaching endorsement showing when you detached your last command and a copy of your Page 2. You will need these documents to check in to the Navy Family Housing Office. The complete listing of Navy Family Housing Area information for both Enlisted and Officers is at:
Hotel Reservations:
We advise you to make any hotel reservations well in advance, especially if your PCS is during a tourist season. Your sponsor can assist you in finding a hotel, but you will have to finalize your reservation. The hotel you choose must be Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) approved. TLA is an allowance to help offset the cost of living in hotels during your PCS move. TLA is based on the per diem rate and paid in ten-day increments. TLA is not paid in advance, but is paid after filing a completed claim with receipts and endorsements. It’s advisable to have at least $1,500 in traveler’s checks to meet immediate off-base living expenses. TLA is authorized for all command sponsored military personnel arriving on Permanent Change of Station orders pending availability of government housing, or pending completion of permanent living arrangements. TLA commences the date your PCS orders are endorsed as having reported aboard. It is imperative that you have your orders endorsed with the time and date reported as soon as possible after arriving in San Diego. You will not be reimbursed for any days of temporary lodging prior to the report date endorsed on your orders. TLA is processed by the TLA Clerk, located in the PSD, phone (619) 556-5500. The approved hotels are listed on this website:

  Upon Arrival

Report directly to the ship. In case the ship is deployed or underway, report to Transit Personnel Unit (TPU), Bldg. 1753, Naval Station San Diego for further transfer or to await ship’s arrival, phone: 473-0065.

All flights lead to the San Diego International Airport located about eight miles north of Naval Station San Diego’s main gate. The airport is eight miles south of Pacific Beach and four miles north of central San Diego. Travel time to San Diego is approximately 10 minutes by car during non-rush hour. Your sponsor will most likely be the one greeting you at the airport and will help you get settled into your initial accommodations. If the ship is underway, or you are not met by anyone at the airport and require lodging, you should contact the TPU at (619) 473-0065.

Transportation From The Airport
If LAKE CHAMPLAIN is underway or deployed; report to Transient Personnel Unit (TPU), located in Building 3142 at Naval Station San Diego. You can reach the TPU OOD at (619) 556-4829 or (619) 556-3169. If you require transportation from San Diego International Airport to the 32nd Street (Naval Station San Diego) base, the USO at San Diego International Airport will assist you in contacting the duty driver.

If we are in port then check in at the ship. Always check in wearing the uniform of the day. When you check in: The Officer of the Deck should sign your orders, if your sponsor is available he will be called to the quarterdeck to meet you. You should also meet with the Command Duty Officer, get a place to sleep, and be told when to be at work in the morning. If you arrived in San Diego alone, make sure to call your loved ones.

Base Decal
To drive your vehicle on a military installation, you must obtain a military base decal by registering at the pass and identification office. When registering, you will need your Military ID card, registration of vehicle, valid driver’s license, smog check receipt; and proof of insurance. Pass and decal is located off of Harbor Drive right outside the main gate.

Good luck with your transition to San Diego and please contact your sponsor for any questions or concerns you may have.

US Navy Recruiting | US Navy | US Marine Corps | Navy Reserves | Individual Augmentee
No Fear Act | FOIA | | Veterans Crisis Line | Vote | DoD SafeHelpline
This is an official United States Navy Website. This US Government system is subject to monitoring. Please read our Privacy Policy and Section 508/Accessibility Statement.

The appearance of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the United States Department of Defense, or the United States Department of the Navy of the linked web sites, or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sites, the United States Department of Defense, the Department of the Navy  does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD web site.