- 5th in Wasp Class
- Second ship to bear the name.
- 844 ft bow to stern 106 ft across beam.
- Two 35,000 hp steam propulsion plants 25+ kts.
- Outfitted for 3,200 Sailors and Marines.
- First Navy ship specifically designed to house females (450).
Extensive Medical Facility
- 600-bed hospital, second only to hospital ships.
- Rolling Airframe Anti-Ship Missile
- Launching Systems
- NATO Sea Sparrow Surface-to-Air
- Missile Launching Systems
- Phalanx Close-In-Weapons Systems
- 25mm Gun Mounts
- 50-Caliber Gun Mounts
- AV-8B Harrier Attack Planes
- AH1-Cobra Helicopters
- UH-1Y Huey Helicopters
- CH-53 Super Stallion Marine Helicopters
- MH 60S Knight Hawk Helicopters
- MV-22 Osprey Tilt Rotor Aircraft
- Landing Craft Air Cushion (LCAC)
- Landing Craft Utility (LCU)