History: Saufley Field opened in 1940. It was commissioned in 1943 as a Naval Auxiliary Air Station and was re-designated as a Naval Air Station (NAS) in 1968. It was decommissioned in 1976 and designated an outlying landing field. It was reactivated in 1979 as Naval Education and Training Program Development Center and an outlying field for NAS Whiting Field pilot training. In 1996, Saufley Field became Naval Education and Training Professional Development and Technology Center, a major shore command, dropping the 'Technology' component of the name in 2016.
Location: Geographically separate from, but a tenant of NAS Pensacola, Saufley Field has evolved into a multi-functional joint use facility. Previously serving as a Navy Outlying Field (NOLF) in support of Training Air Wings 5 and 6, it is now home to multiple Department of the Navy, Department of Defense, and Bureau of Prinsons organizations that have moved in to take advantage of the facility's infrastructure
Facility: Saufley Field is an area of approximately 657 acres (plus 209 acres undeveloped, mostly wetlands) and currently has about 600,000 square feet of building space with two 4000-foot runways formerly used by the Navy as a NOLF. In addition to 63 buildings, there are three aircraft hangars (one of which is used by the Federal Prison Camp) on the facility. The airfields have been converted to solar use, with 600,000 solar panels currently in place and operating as of summer 2017.
Other Tenants: Federal Prison Camp (FPC): The Federal Prison System operates and maintains a Level One minimum-security prison for approximately 600 prisoners. The prisoners are used as a labor force to support various self-help programs at area bases under the management and control of a 100 person staff.
Additional tenants include the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support, NAS Pensacola Fire Station, and Navy Operational Support Center Pensacola.