click or hover to expand
- What food options are available at OTCN?
- You will be required to eat in the Ney Hall dining facility
for every meal during normal working hours. The galley has a
wide variety of food, including a salad and fruit bar, and a
variety of proteins and vegetables. The galley also provides
- Should I bring civilian clothes?
What kind of expenses will I incur while at NSI?
- Yes. You will have the opportunity later in training to wear
What kinds of hairstyles are authorized for females?
Will I have time to groom my hair on a daily basis?
What specific personal items should I bring to NSI?
Can I bring my cell phone?
- Some items include:
- Graduation Reception. $15.00-$20.00 per person (If
family attends, you will need to pay for each)
- Class T-Shirts/Sweatshirts. Each company usually designs
and orders a shirt. These range from $15-$25 apiece.
- Class Dinner. The class usually goes out the last week
for a casual event. This ranges from $15-$20 apiece.
- Uniform accessories. Throughout training you will
probably need items to maintain your uniform.
- Miscellaneous Supplies
- Any other expense will be on the individual. There is a
Navy Exchange on the base, along with other MWR services.
Can I bring my laptop computer?
- Yes. You will not be able to use it during the work day, but
you will have access to it after working hours.
Do I need to buy my uniform items prior to NSI, or will
we purchase them there?
- Yes. Please be advised we do not have wireless internet
capability. There are computers available for you to use in our
Can I bring over-the-counter medications such as
- You do not need to purchase any uniforms prior to reporting to
NSI. The second day is uniform issue, and everything will be
available for purchase on that day.
How do I get paperwork notarized?
- Yes, but they must be in the original bottles.
I am already being paid at my current rank, do I still
need to bring all the documentation?
- Your local county courthouse should be able to notarize items
for a nominal fee. Also, most law firms/attorneys provide notary
service for a fee as well. Check your local yellow pages for
Who do I contact if I have a problem arriving at base?
- Bring all recommended paperwork items per this webpage.
Can females wear make-up during training?
- Contact the Class Officer via the contact link or call the
Command Duty Officer at
What uniform do I report in?
- Yes, your class team will determine when this will start.
Where will I live while attending NSI?
- NSI Students shall report in business casual attire,
(slacks/skirt, shirt with collar/blouse) when arriving. Students
will be in formal Navy PTU for the Monday first class meeting.
What will be my mailing address for NSI?
- All OTC students will be staying in King Hall barracks for the
duration of training. Rooms house two students with beds,
bedding, trash cans, study tables, and a wall locker with
drawers. Communal heads and laundry facilities are available for
all students. Students will be expected to clean their rooms and
the common passageway, laundry room, and other common areas.
Also, you can expect to participate in weekly cleaning
assignments and scheduled room inspections.
- Rooms have very limited storage space. Pillows, bedding, and
linens are provided. Bring washcloths, towels, toiletries, and a
padlock for your wall locker (a combination closet and
chest-of-drawers), where your personal possessions can be stored
What are my duties and obligations to the Navy?
STA-21 NSI (CLASS #)
OFFICER TRAINING COMMAND NEWPORT
1356 Meyerkord Avenue
Newport, RI 02841-1641
When I obligate service for STA-21 can I receive an SRB?
- Active duty military must have a minimum of 36 months
obligated service upon transfer to STA-21 Schoolhouse. Upon
successful completion of NSI, students will be transferred to an
NROTC-affiliated college or university. Students will attend
classes, join the NROTC unit as an officer candidate, and
participate in drills; while working on completing their degree
requirements within a maximum of 36 months:
- You will remain on active duty and receive enlisted pay and
benefits while attending an NROTC-affiliated college or
- You will be responsible for tuition, fees, books, and other
expenses incurred while participating in college studies,
however, an annual $10,000 education voucher will be provided to
help supplement these expenses. You will not be eligible for
tuition assistance under the Navy's Tuition Assistance
Program. Students who do not receive educational vouchers may
use their Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) and/or Navy College Fund
- You may apply for Federal student aid at
- Your active duty obligation after college will vary depending
on the specific officer program you choose to enter.
- If you are not successful in completing NSI School, you
must complete the remainder of your enlisted obligated
- For further NSI STA-21 info, please see
My question is not listed above?
- Under NO circumstances should you receive an SRB while
obligating for STA-21. Reference OPNAVINST 1160.6 for
additional information. Students who do receive an SRB or SEB
will be required to repay DFAS the entire amount.
- Refer to the
contact us page for assistance. You are encouraged to
contact the ROTC unit at your respective university prior to
arrival at NSI. Each unit is unique and can answer questions
specific to ROTC, college academics and STA-21.
Last updated: July 13th,