- What does our diet consist of while at Officer Training
- You will be required to eat in the Ney Hall dining facility
for every meal while you are here. You will only be eating
three times a day. Food is not allowed in the barracks. The
galley has a adequate selection of food, which includes a salad
and fruit bar, along with a variety of proteins and vegetables.
They also provide vegetarian options, but are not as robust as
the main service.
- Should I bring civilian clothes?
- Yes. You will have the opportunity later in training to wear
- What kind of expenses will I incur while at NSI?
- You will incur meal expenses, which will run $75.60 per week.
Some other items will be:
- Graduation Reception. $15.00-$20.00 per person (If family
attends, you will need to pay for each)
- Company T-Shirts/Sweatshirts. Each company usually designs
and orders a shirt. These range from $15-$25 a piece.
- Company Dinner. The company usually goes out the last week,
which is a less formal event. This ranges from $15-$20 a piece.
- Uniform accessories. Throughout training you will probably
need items to maintain your uniform. This cost usually averages
- Miscellaneous Supplies. Items to help maintain your
barracks, which is optional as OTC provides cleaning materials
for your use. Students report spending around $30-$40 a piece
on items in this category.
- Any other expense will be on the individual. There is a Navy
Exchange on the base, along with other MWR services.
- What kinds of hairstyles are authorized for women? Will
I have time to groom my hair on a daily basis?
- What specific personal items should I bring to NSI?
- Please see required items section.
- Can I bring my cell phone?
- Yes. You will not be able to use it during the work day, but
you will have access to it after working hours.
- Can I bring my laptop computer?
- Yes. Please be advised we do not have wireless internet
capability. Also, there are computers available for you to use
at the command.
- Do I need to buy my uniform items prior to NSI, or will
we purchase them there?
- You do not need to purchase any uniforms prior to reporting to
NSI. The second day is uniform issue, and everything will be
available for purchase on that day.
- Can I bring over-the-counter medications such as
- Yes, but they must be in the original bottles.
- How do I get paperwork notarized?
- Your local county courthouse should be able to notarize items
for a nominal fee. Also, most law firms/attorneys provide notary
service for a fee as well. Check your local yellow pages for
- I am already being paid at my current rank, do I still
need to bring all the documentation?
- It is recommended if you have had changes in any of your
dependents status or your status that you bring all the required
paperwork. If you do not bring it and there is a problem with
your pay, this may slow the process of correcting it down.
- Who do I contact if I have a problem arriving at base?
- Contact the Class Officer via the contact link or call the
Command Duty Officer at 401-862-4321.
- Can females wear make-up during training?
- Yes, your class team will determine when this will start.
- What uniform do I report in?
Where will I live while attending NSI?
- NSI Students shall report in business casual attire,
(slacks/skirt, shirt with collar/blouse)
- All OTC students will be staying in King Hall barracks for the
duration of training. Rooms house two students with beds,
bedding, trash cans, study tables, and a wall locker with
drawers. Communal heads and laundry facilities are available for
all students. Students will be expected to clean their rooms and
the common passageway, laundry room, and other common areas.
Also, you can expect to participate in weekly cleaning
assignments and scheduled room inspections.
- Rooms have very limited storage space. Pillows, bedding, and
linens are provided. Bring washcloths, towels, toiletries, and a
padlock for your wall locker (a combination closet and
chest-of-drawers), where your personal possessions can be stored
- What will be my mailing address for NSI?
- (YOUR NAME)
STA-21 NSI (CLASS #)
OFFICER TRAINING COMMAND NEWPORT
1356 Meyerkord Avenue
Newport, RI 02841-1641
- What are my duties and obligations to the Navy?
- Active duty military must have a minimum of 36 months
obligated service upon transfer to STA-21 Schoolhouse. Upon
successful completion of NSI, students will be transferred to an
NROTC-affiliated college or university. Students will attend
classes, join the NROTC unit as an officer candidate, and
participate in drills; while working on completing their degree
requirements within a maximum of 36 months:
- You will remain on active duty and receive enlisted pay and
benefits while attending an NROTC-affiliated college or
- You will be responsible for tuition, fees, books, and other
expenses incurred while participating in college studies,
however, an annual $10,000 education voucher will be provided to
help supplement these expenses. You will not be eligible for
tuition assistance under the Navy's Tuition Assistance
Program. Students who do not receive educational vouchers may
use their Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) and/or Navy College Fund
- You may apply for Federal student aide at
- Your active duty obligation after college will vary depending
on the specific officer program you choose to enter.
- If you are not successful in completing NSI School, you
must complete the remainder of your enlisted obligated
- When I obligate service for STA-21 can I receive an SRB?
- Under NO circumstances should you receive an SRB while
obligating for STA-21. Reference OPNAVINST 1160.6 for
additional information. Students who do receive an SRB or SEB
will be required to repay DFAS the entire amount.
- My question is not listed above?
- Refer to the contact us page
for assistance. You are encouraged to contact the ROTC unit at
your respective university prior to arrival at NSI. Each unit
is unique and can answer questions specific to ROTC, college
academics and STA-21.