What to expect when I get there.
- Check-in: Report in accordance with your
orders, no later than Sunday before 2200 to the King Hall
Quarterdeck (Building 291). You do not have to be in uniform when
reporting. Make it clear to the watch stander you are reporting for
LDO/CWO School. The OOD on the Quarterdeck will provide you with
information on reporting to Navy Gateway Inns and Suites (NGIS)
(building 1312). Ensure the watch stander or CDO signs your orders
with a date/time and signature with printed name and rank.
On Monday morning at 0700 report to Callaghan Hall room 301,
dressed in NWU's, ready to be addressed by your Class Officer.
- If you report before the
No Earlier Than Date
on your orders, you will not be reimbursed for the cost of the BOQ
or other commercial quarters.
- Living quarters: All new accession officers
The LDO/CWO Academy will be required to make their
lodging reservations at Newport Navy Gateway Inns and Suites by
(401) 841-7900, or via
If on orders other than PCS, reservations
can be made via DTS, phone or website. Navy Gateway Inns and Suites
(NGIS) or Newport Chalet on board Naval Station Newport will have a
private room with bath, free Wi-Fi, cable TV, refrigerator,
microwave, coffeemaker, and more. For more information contact NGIS
or go to the Travel/Check-in page and view the LDO/CWO section.
NOTE: No Certified Non Availability (CNA) Authorizations for off
base housing will be authorized during your stay. If you are unable
to obtain lodging at NGIS or Chalet then you will be provided a room
at King Hall at no cost.
- Galley: Located in Ney Hall, next to King Hall,
available three meals a day, seven days per week. Ensure you request
advanced per diem to cover the meal expense or you will be paying
out of pocket until you resolve your travel claim at your next
- Base/Local amenities: Naval Station Newport has
an Officers' Club, commissary, exchange (medium size), barber shop,
bowling alley, recreation center (with wireless access), internet
cafe', package store, uniform shop (very well stocked, but not
all CWO designators), and an NFCU/Bank and ATM X2. There is an MWR
pool and gym facilities with state-of-the-art cardio equipment,
weights, basketball, racquetball, sauna, and more, that is open to
students on liberty. There is a Wal-Mart just outside the base and
plenty of restaurants and shops.
- Alcohol: Policies regarding consumption of
alcohol while on liberty will be explained upon arrival.
- Smoking and tobacco use: Tobacco use is not
authorized by students anywhere in
Officer Training Country.
The exact boundaries will be explained on your first day.
- Physical Training : Be prepared and be in
shape to PT as a class regularly while at OTC. Naval Station has
excellent facilities for you to enjoy during your liberty while
you're here. You will participate in a BCA the first day of your
- Internet access and E-mail: You will have
limited internet access using available student computer facilities.
You will not be able to access NMCI email while you're here. Currently, NMCI has
prohibited use of thumb drives in NMCI computers. Additionally, the
computers and Wi-Fi at the internet cafe' on base will allow
access to Yahoo, Hotmail, etc., that are not accessible from DOD
computers, and Wi-Fi will be provided at the NGIS and Newport
- Collateral Duties: There are collateral
duties your class will hold; a sign-up sheet will be available upon
check-in with the OOD at King Hall to solicit volunteers. Think
about how to best share your expertise.
- Class Division Officer: Liaison with instructors
- Wardroom Mess Treasurer: Collect and handle money
- Athletic Coordinator(s): Lead PT sessions, warm-up, cool-down, etc.
- Admin Officer: Liaison with PSD and Admin
- Academic Coordinator: Liaison with instructors regarding homework, etc.
- Social activities Coordinator: Class Grad Social / T-Shirts / Plaque / etc.
- Postal Orderly: Gets the mail if there is any
- Master At Arms: Supplies and facility issues if any
- ADP: Helps ADP local with computers
- Regular Mail: You probably won't need mail delivery, but if you do here is the address:
ENS/CWO I.M. Here
LDO/CWO STUDENT MAIL ROOM
CLASS NUMBER ######
OFFICER TRAINING COMMAND NEWPORT
1356 Meyerkord Avenue
Newport, RI 02841-1524
**Special Religious needs must be expressed on the first day of
training. OTCN will do everything possible to accommodate all
special and religious needs without compromising training.
What are the class schedules for FY 2020?
Who can I
contact for additional information?