Pre-Commissioning Swim Requirements
The Third Class Swim Test is administered early in the
- Students who are evaluated as being unsafe in the water will be
removed from training and given remedial swim training.
- Students who are unable to successfully complete the swim test,
following extensive remedial instruction, will be held at training
until able to pass the swim test. After three weeks of extra
instruction administrative action will be taken.
Third Class Swim Test consists of the following:
- Abandon Ship Jump: Jump from a 10 foot tower to simulate
- 5 minute Prone Float: Remain afloat face down, utilizing
survival floating skills, for five minutes.
- Coverall inflation: Fill a coverall with air to remain afloat.
- 50 yd Swim: Using any single following stroke or combination of
the crawl, breaststroke, sidestroke, and elementary backstroke
IN ALL EVENTS THE SWIMMER MUST APPEAR CALM AND RELAXED