SAN DIEGO, Calif. Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command (SPAWAR) has qualified as a Project Management Institute (PMI) Registered Education Provider (REP) and will provide PMI REP certified training to enhance employees’ professional development and to improve project and program performance beginning in 2019.
PMI is the world’s leading not-for-profit professional membership association for the project, program and portfolio management profession. PMI REPs are organizations that have been approved by PMI to offer training in project management while issuing professional development units (PDUs).
As a qualified PMI REP, SPAWAR can now offer employees the opportunity to take courses, earn certifications and receive PDUs in the field of project management while on campus, and during working hours.
PMI REP status is only awarded to tenured, quality, project management education providers that are aligned to PMI core values and mature business practices. Organizations must show that course content is consistent with PMI global standards and how courses achieve the intended learning outcomes.
Upon receiving the qualification in September 2018, SPAWAR mapped out a training implementation plan that will benefit employees and the Navy.
Beginning in 2019, SPAWAR will offer the following PMI REP courses:
• PMI Project Management Professional (PMP®) Certification Training Boot Camp – A four-day course for project managers looking to acquire the PMP certification focused on project manager’s ability to lead and direct projects and teams.
• PMI Agile/Scrum Workshop – A workshop designed for project managers looking to apply agile principles and practices to projects.
• Project Lifecycle Fundamentals Workshop – A week-long course focused on project planning, work breakdown structure, cost estimation techniques, scheduling techniques and performance measurement.
• PMI Risk Management Professional® (RMP®) Certification Preparation Workshop – A course designed to prepare students for the RMP certification exam, focused on assessing and identifying project risks, mitigating threats and capitalizing on opportunities.
• PMI Scheduling Professional (SP®) Preparation Workshop – A course for project managers looking to acquire PMI SP certification focused on developing and maintaining project schedules.
“The quality of our training courses will both enhance the skills of our workforce and allow our workforce members to more easily obtain commercial program management certifications in addition to their government-specific Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act qualifications,” said Craig Madsen, SPAWAR Acquisition and Project Management competency lead.
With the newly earned PMI REP qualification, SPAWAR is recognized as an organization that offers quality and effective training, meeting the standards of the industry’s leading institution for project management.
Additionally, PMI REP status provides SPAWAR with access to unlimited PMI intellectual capital including: compiled survey results, special investigations, research papers in the program management field across industry, PMI databases, tools, templates, and guides.
SPAWAR identifies, develops, delivers and sustains information warfighting capabilities supporting naval, joint, coalition and other national missions. SPAWAR consists of more than 10,000 active duty military and civil service professionals located around the world and close to the fleet to keep SPAWAR at the forefront of research, engineering and acquisition to provide and sustain information warfare capabilities to the fleet.