SAN DIEGO (NNS) -- Several employees across NAVWAR enterprise were recognized by the Department of Navy for significant contributions in the areas of science and engineering July 24, at an awards ceremony held at Naval Surface Warfare Center Carderock Division in Bethesda, Maryland.
During the ceremony, individuals and teams from Naval Information Warfare Center Pacific (NIWC) Pacific and Program Executive Office Command, Control, Communications, Computers and Intelligence (PEO C4I) and Space Systems were presented with the Assistant Secretary of the Navy (ASN) Research, Development, and Acquisition (RD&A) Dr. Delores M. Etter Top Scientist and Engineer of the Year Award.
"These awards represent the excellence and dedication of our elite workforce to deliver the best capabilities possible," said NAVWAR Commander Rear Admiral Christian Becker. "It is this type of hard work and determination that allows our warfighters, deployed around the globe, to succeed in their missions, and I could not be more proud."
Named after former ASN (RDA) Delores M. Etter, this highly esteemed award is given annually to military and civilian scientists and engineers who have made technically outstanding and highly beneficial contributions to our national defense.
This year's ceremony, hosted by ASN (RDA) James F. Geurts, included a mix of in-person and virtual attendees. During the ceremony, Geurts recognized 54 top scientists and engineers from across the Department of the Navy, including 16 from NAVWAR enterprise.
NAVWAR enterprise awardees included:
Emergent Scientists Awards
• Dr. Mark Bilinski - NIWC Pacific
• Dr. Kate E. Rainey - NIWC Pacific
Individual Engineers Awards
• Daniel J. Curtis - NIWC Pacific
• Gary R. King - NIWC Pacific
• Matthew B. Rambo - PEO C4I and Space Systems
• Non-GPS Aided Positioning and Timing for Surface Ships Future Naval Capability (Fnc) Team: Jacob Bencke, Kyle Swanson, Chad Pinkelman, Kevin Dea from NIWC Pacific and Aaron Nascimento from PEO C4I and Space Systems
• Rapid Response and Integration (R2i) Team: Brian Visser, Jimmy Linh, Ling Finan, Henry Houle, Emily Nguyen from NIWC Pacific
Group Collaborating Across the NRD&E
• Maritime Test Bed (Mtb) Team: Jeff Rey Lloyd from NIWC Pacific, Joshua Henson from NAVFAC EXWC, Kevin D. Conowitch, CWO5 Saunte Allen, and David Mendoza from NAVSEA PMS 485
"Congratulations to this year's winners who have shown true commitment to the execution of our mission, success of our operations and effectiveness of our Navy in defense of our nation," said NAVWAR Executive Director John Pope. "At every opportunity they pushed the limits of what is possible; innovating, leading, and driving ways to speed delivery of advanced capability to the warfighter so that we can compete and win for years to come."