Sojourner's Permit

A sojourner’s permit is required for all military dependents and DOD civilian employees and their dependents. This document, which is issued by the Italian government, permits civilians to legally reside in Italy.

Before you travel to Italy, you must have all necessary documents for the permit, specifically a visa for family reasons issued by an Italian consulate on your no-fee U.S. passport. It is vital to work with your sponsor and new command to ensure that you have all the necessary documents before you detach. Once you arrive, you must immediately apply for the permit during area orientation.