THE CARRIER STRIKE GROUP
In the CNO Guidance for 2003, Admiral Vernon Clark stipulated that the terms “Carrier Battle Groups” and “Amphibious Readiness Groups” would no longer be the standard terms and that they would be replaced by Carrier Strike Groups and Expeditionary Strike Groups, respectively, by March 2003. The goal being to find ways to effectively produce naval capability in a more efficient manner.
Under this initiative, Cruiser-Destroyer and Carrier Groups were designated as Carrier Strike Groups (CSG) and aligned directly under the numbered fleet commanders. This realignment gives key operational leaders authority and direct access to the people needed to more effectively accomplish the Navy’s mission.
Formerly, Carrier Group (CARGRU) and Cruiser-Destroyer Group (CRUDESGRU) staffs were under the administrative authority of the air and surface type commanders (TYCOM). With this new initiative, authority and control comes from the numbered fleet commanders who are responsible for the training and certification of the entire Strike Group. The organizational structure to support the Carrier Strike Groups focuses more on placing Strike Group commanders under the authority of the certifying officer, or the numbered fleet commander. Under this concept, the warfare distinction of either the air-side or the surface-side is removed and is unified as Carrier Strike Groups.
The Carrier Strike Group (CSG) is employed in a variety of roles, all of which involve gaining and maintaining sea control. The core capabilities of a CSG include:
• Forward Presence
• Sea Control
• Power Projection
• Maritime Security
• Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Response
HISTORY OF CARRIER STRIKE GROUP TEN
The ancestor to the current Carrier Strike Group TEN was Cruiser Destroyer Group TWO which was established in 1973. Cruiser Destroyer Group TWO was originally Destroyer Flotilla TWO established during World War I in Newport, Rhode Island. The Flotilla was deactivated in 1922 as part of the fleet draw down after the war.
Destroyer Flotilla TWO was reactivated in 1931 and served throughout the 1930s as a caretaker of reserve destroyers until again deactivated in the early days of World War II. As part of the Navy’s fleet reorganization, the Flotilla was reactivated yet again in 1946.
In 1973, Destroyer Flotilla TWO was renamed Cruiser Destroyer Group TWO. The Group relocated to Charleston, South Carolina in 1974. In 1993, Cruiser Destroyer Group TWO was again affected by fleet reorganization, becoming the Battle Group Staff for the newly named George Washington Battle Group, with the newly commissioned USS George Washington (CVN 73) as flagship.
In 2004, Cruiser Destroyer Group TWO was renamed yet again to Carrier Strike Group TEN in keeping with the CNO’s Guidance. Commander, Carrier Strike Group TEN retains that designation while also serving as Commander, Dwight D. Eisenhower Strike Group.