Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The following questions and answers may resolve your issue.
1. Can we still bring the prisoner in if she is pregnant?
2. Does the confinement order have to be the original?
Yes. No exceptions.
3. For out of state confinements - If we don’t have the uniforms, how long do we have to bring them in?
The confining command is responsible for bringing any missing uniform items within 72 hours of confinement.
4. If there was no victim/witness in the case, do we need to bring a DD 2704?
Yes, if the confinement is post-trial. Brig legal must have a record of it.
5. What time can I drop off a new confinement?
Anytime. The brig is open 24 hours a day.
6. Who can do a command visit and when?
E-6 and above may conduct Command Visits Monday through Friday from 0800-1500. They must be in uniform.
7. What paperwork do we need to check out a prisoner for an appointment?
A temporary release memorandum (DD 2708) is required (either signed by the commanding officer or acting commanding officer) and faxed or hand-carried to Receiving and Release.
8. What is the brig phone number and address?
Quarter Deck: (757) 421-8674
Command Duty Officer: (757) 421-8798
1548 Wilderness Road, Bldg. 500
Chesapeake, VA 23322
Full Name, Rate/Rank
P.O. Box 800
Chesapeake, VA 23322
9. Do you have to be brig chaser certified to bring someone in?
No. However, for any type of temporary release, brig chaser qualification is required. A permanent release escort must be the same rank or above, non-brig chaser.
10. Who is authorized to sign the medical certificate on the confinement order?
Only a medical officer or physician's assistant (PA) is authorized or Certified Nurse Practitioner.
11. Can we bring in a prisoner without the physical signed by an officer, and then get it done later?
No. The prisoner must have a complete confinement physical completed within the last 24 hours.
12. What other gear is authorized upon confinement?
Money, phone numbers and addresses of family and friends.
13. What paperwork is required for new confinements?
For Post-Trial Prisoners:
Original Confinement Order (DD 2707)
Victim/Witness Notification (DD 2704)
Results of Trial
Pre-Trial Agreement parts I and II (if applicable)
Charge Sheet (DD 458) (optional)
For Pre-Trial Prisoners:
Results of NJP (up to 3 days of confinement):