Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Survivor Support & Entitlements

The loss of your loved one does not mean an end to certain military benefits and privileges you now receive.  You may continue to receive medical care at medical facilities of the Uniformed Services, in select former public health hospitals designated by the Department of Defense as uniformed services treatment facilities, and civilian inpatient and outpatient care, subject to limitations as determined by local medical authorities.  You may use the commissary, base exchange, and morale, welfare and recreation activities, which includes theaters at bases when these facilities are available.  Although every effort is made to provide these benefits and privileges, at some installations the facilities may be adequate only for the assigned military personnel and their eligible family members. 

In such cases, the commander of the installation has the right to deny you the use of those facilities.  In some overseas areas, the use of service benefits and privileges may not be extended to families of deceased members due to agreements entered into between the United States and the host country.  If you plan to travel or live abroad, let your Casualty Assistance Calls Officer (CACO) help you determine the benefits and privileges available in the country where you plan to live.

This section of pages also addresses most of the benefits and entitlements available.  Not all of the benefits and entitlements are available in every case.  Families should check with their Casualty Assistance Calls Officer (CACO) or if no CACO is assigned, check with the Regional Casualty Assistance office for their area.
Active Duty Death Benefits - Basic Information for Monetary Benefits

Family members of military personnel who die as a direct or indirect result of wartime or peacetime service are eligible to receive several types of federal benefits.  Benefits to a spouse and children are paid regardless of economic need, except in the case of a nonservice-connected death pension, while benefits for parents who might otherwise be eligible will not be paid if the parents have income in excess of a certain amount each year.  Your Casualty Assistance Calls Officer (CACO), the nearest Veterans Administration or Social Security office will explain the benefits to you, the amounts that can be paid, and help you complete the required claim forms.
Family members that have received log-in credentials to access their Online Survivor Benefits Reports (OSBR) can use this link to navigate to their customized benefits reports. 
NAVY PERSONNEL COMMAND: 5720 Integrity Drive, Millington TN 38055-0000
 Address Correspondence to: Attn: PERS-### or BUPERS-###
This is an official U.S. Navy Website
Need Career, Pay or Personnel help?  Call MyNavy Career Center: 833-330-MNCC, or 901-874-MNCC (DSN 882-6622), Email MNCC, MNCC Chat
Comments or Suggestions about this Website?  Email the Webmaster
Last Modified: 11/1/2017 10:37 AM
FOIA | US Navy | U.S. Navy Recruiting | No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy | Accessibility / Section 508 | Site Map