NAVY SPOUSE LICENSURE REIMBURSEMENT
The Department of the Navy is dedicated to supporting families and currently provides resources and advocacy for spouse employment. Section 556 of the National Defense Authorization Action FY18 provides the Navy the opportunity to reimburse members up to $500 for state licensure and certification costs of a spouse of a member of the Armed Forces arising from relocation to another state due to a permanent change of station (PCS) or permanent change of assignment.
Service members may be reimbursed up to $500 for qualifying relicensing costs of their spouse when all of the following conditions are met:
1. The member is reassigned, either as a PCS or permanent change of assignment from a
permanent duty station (PDS) in one state to a PDS in another state.
2. The PCS movement of the dependents is authorized.
3. The spouse was employed in a profession requiring certification at the PDS in the previous state.
4. The spouse is required to obtain re-certification for the same profession at the PDS in the new
5. The completion of the relicense or certification was successful.
6. For PCS returning from OCONUS assignment, the license from the PDS state held prior to OCONUS
may be used if the new CONUS PDS is in a different state. may be used if the new CONUS PDS is in
a different state.
7. Reimbursement payments for licensure or certification are subject to the Federal income tax
withholding rate of 25% and to State tax (as applicable).
1. This reimbursement is effective as of 12 December 2017 for PCS orders issued on or after
12 December 2017.
2. No reimbursement may be provided for qualified relicensing costs paid or incurred after
31 December 2022.31 December 2022.
3. Requests for reimbursement associated with PCS orders issued between 12 December 2017
through 30 June 2019 shall be submitted no later than 30 June 2020.
4. Requests for reimbursement associated with PCS orders issued after 30 June 2019 shall be
submitted no later than 24 months after issued date of PCS orders.
For complete eligibility information and application procedures, please see:
Optional Form (OF) 1164, Claim for Reimbursement for Expenditures on Official Business
Spouse Licensure Reimbursement FAQs (2Jul19) This must be filled out digitally.
FAQs - FY18 NDAA Spouse Reimbursement Costs (26Aug19)
CNIC Fleet and Family Support Program Family Employment Readiness Program (FERP)
Military One Source -Spouse Licensure Reimbursement