Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC) midshipmen should inform their chain of command of their desire to be selected for a Naval Special Warfare 1/C Summer Cruise quota and seek out current and former SEALs for mentorship. Midshipmen must submit one package during their 2/C year. This package will be used for consideration to attend NSW Summer Cruise and final selection. Applications shall be submitted via the Midshipman’s chain of command to, and for processing by, Naval Service Training Command (NSTC)/OD4. The Midshipman’s application will then be routed to the SEAL OCM. Midshipmen will be notified by NSTC in the fall of their 1/C year as to final selection. The SEAL OCM and Detailer will follow-up with selectees with additional information. Midshipmen shall coordinate package submission with their chain of command.
All applications for NROTC Midshipmen to become SEAL Officers are processed by the Naval Service Training Command (NSTC).
• MANMED P-117 Chapter 15, Section 105 – eye requirements on pages 26 and 84.
• Regulations for Officer Development for NROTC, NSTC INST 1533.2A
(Ch. 5, Section 5-9 (d) and Ch. 6 Section 6-31(6))
• OPNAVINST 1420.1B
• MANMED P-117 (Chapter 15)
• MILPERSMAN 1210-220 (Section 7)
• MILPERSMAN 1220-410
There may be instances where you find conflicting information on web sites and in documents. Contact the OCM if conflicting information affects the submission of your application package. As a general rule, trust approved Navy instructions, not web content.
• See Important Dates
SEAL Officer Application Contents
1. Application Letter for NSW: example.
2. NSTC Service Selection Package: Provided by NROTC unit.
3. Duty Preference/CO Recommendation: signed by NROTC unit commanding officer, to include first choice designator (1180 for SEAL officer).
4. Officer Data Card: Card will be sent to applicants after the SEAL OCM receives all other package items. Card should be returned to the SEAL OCM in Excel format. Please review the attached example for guidance.
5. Report of Applicant Screening: PST Test Results Form. PST should be conducted within 3 months of package submission and shall be within 6 months in order to ensure an accurate representation of the candidates physical status.
6. No more than two (2) Letters of Reference (LOR): example.
- There is an official format for LORs. Please contact the SEAL OCM office for more information about the required formatting of LORs. Completed letters should be submitted to SEAL_OCM@navy.mil.
- The LOR should not solely be a character reference. These should be used as a tool to highlight your accomplishments, experiences, and leadership potential.
7. Official College Transcript. Please do not mail transcripts to the OCM office. PDF copies of official transcript is acceptable for the application.
8. Resume or Curriculum Vitae. There is no specific format required. Include accurate contact information. If you have ever applied or competed to become a SEAL Officer, include date applied or competed and how far into the process you got.
9. DD2807: medical history. Please ask about the SOAS medical form prior to completing the DD2807.
**EKG/ECG must be completed**
10. DD2808: medical exam stamped "PQ for diving duty".
**Dive medical officer signature is preferred but not required on physical to attend summer cruise but is required for final accession into NSW**
**Submit Package through your Chain of Command and to SEAL_OCM@navy.mil**
**Please submit all package items as individual PDF files.**
**Please encrypt any e-mails containing PII and ensure compliance of your command's PII guidance. If you do choose to send unencrypted e-mails containing your PII understand the risk involved.**