Lateral Transfer - URL, RL, & Staff Corps
Eligible applicants shall be O-1, O-2, or a junior O-3 (less than six years commissioned service) at time of selection and on permanent active duty throughout the selection and transfer process. The SEAL Officer Community Manager will determine and publish eligible Year Groups based on the needs of NSW. Applicants should work with their current command and the SEAL OCM to ensure packages are complete and properly submitted. The SEAL OCM will notify applicants of final selection. Candidates must be released from their losing warfare community and execute their lateral transfer within the FY (Fiscal Year) they are applying. Eligible candidates MUST coordinate package submission with their chain of command and current detailer.
• See Important Dates
Specific Lateral Transfer eligibility requirements
• O-1, O-2, junior O-3 at time of selection: more senior officers do not have the ability to complete career milestones based on seniority.
**FY21 Selection Panel is targeting Year Groups 2016 and 2019 .**
• Qualified in a warfare specialty (Unrestricted Line only).
**Applicants may apply before achieving final warfare designation, contingent upon a letter from their Commanding Officer stating the applicant is on track to qualify before final selection (typically SEP of year applying). Applicants applying for their second SOAS attempt without their warfare qualification should be extremely cognizant that if they do not qualify before the Final Selection Panel, their package will not be considered for selection.**
• Must be on permanent active duty throughout the selection and transfer process.
• Eligible for Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) clearance.
MANMED P-117 Chapter 15, Section 105 – eye requirements on pages 26 and 84.
• OPNAVINST 1210.5 - Lateral Transfer/Re-designation and Augmentation of Officers in the Navy
• OPNAVINST 1420.1B - Enlisted to Officer Commissioning Programs Application
• MANMED P-117, Chapter 15 - Manual to the Medical Department
• MILPERSMAN 1210-220 - Naval Special Warfare Officer (SEAL)
• MILPERSMAN 1220-410 - SEAL Officer Physical Screening Testing Standards and Procedures
Applicants must complete one of the following to successfully complete their lateral transfer application:
1. Attend SEAL Officer Assessment and Selection (SOAS) at NSW Center in Coronado, CA during the summer of 2019. Applicants who have attended SOAS previously will be allowed one additional opportunity to attend. SOAS is a two week course, however this time commitment may be modified for lateral transfer candidates to accommodate operational commitments (SOAS would be approximately 10 days). Contact the OCM office or SOAS Program Manager (LT (Ret.) Andrew Dow, firstname.lastname@example.org) for details and dates.
2. If they cannot attend SOAS, they will conduct a VTC or in-person interview with members of the SOAS staff. Interviews are a last resort and are intended for candidates who cannot attend events due to operational commitments. In the applicant's CO endorsement letter please include reason for not being available to attend SOAS (i.e. deployment, underway, etc.). The interview will count as a SOAS attempt, so candidates should carefully consider their options prior to committing to an interview.
** The NSW Lateral Transfer Selection Panel will be held in September 2020.
** Previous SOAS attendees can attend a second time. Candidates can only attend SOAS two times.
SEAL Officer Application Contents
1. Application Letter for Lateral Transfer to NSW: example.
2. Commanding Officer’s Lateral Transfer Endorsement Letter: example.
3. Statement of Understanding: example.
4. Officer Data Card: Card will be sent to applicants after the SEAL OCM receives all other package items. The NSW Questionnaire and official photo are included in the Officer Data Card. Card should be returned to the SEAL OCM in Excel format.
5. . Report of Applicant Screening: example. The Physical Screening Test (PST) is recorded on this form by a SEAL Mentor or officer at your command. PST should be conducted within 3 months of package submission and shall be within 6 months in order to ensure an accurate representation of the candidates physical status.
6. Resume or Curriculum Vitae. There is no specific format required. Include accurate contact information. If you have ever applied or competed to become a SEAL Officer, include date applied or competed and how far into the process you got.
7. Official College Transcript. Please do not mail transcripts to the OCM office. PDF copies of official transcript is acceptable for the application.
8. All FITREPS (NAVPERS 1610) to include any detaching FITREPS. This includes any FITREPs signed after package submission.
9. No more than two (2) Letters of Reference (LOR): example.
- There is an official format for LORs. Please contact the SEAL OCM office for more information about the required formatting of LORs. Completed letters should be submitted to SEAL_OCM@navy.mil.
- The LOR should not solely be a character reference. These should be used as a tool to highlight your accomplishments, experiences, and leadership potential.
10. DD2807: medical history. Please ask about the SOAS medical form prior to completing the DD2807.
11. DD2808: medical exam stamped PQ for diving duty.
**Submit Package to SEAL_OCM@navy.mil**
**Please submit all package items as individual PDF files.**
**Please encrypt any e-mails containing PII and ensure compliance of your command's PII guidance. If you do choose to send unencrypted e-mails containing your PII understand the risk involved.**