PERS 422 Detailer Notes (Updated 11/18/19):
1. Personnel Changes:
After 42 years of combined active duty and civil service to the United States with the last 14 years at PERS 42, Mrs. Christy Wilson will retire in December 2019. She has been the cornerstone of the Submarine and Nuclear LDO/CWO assignments branch of PERS 42 and will be greatly missed. If you have any well wishes to pass along, please contact her before the holidays.
LCDR Phil Davis has relieved CDR David Etheridge as the Nuclear OCM at Chief of Naval Personnel (OPNAV N133). He can be reached at email@example.com.
LCDR Brian Purvis has relieved LCDR Sammie Green as the Submarine LDO/CWO Detailer. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LT Willie Ruthart has relieved LCDR Mike Dahlgren as the Nuclear LDO/CWO Detailer. He can be reached at email@example.com.
2. Career Management: As a constituent, when you contact the Detailer to negotiate your next assignment, our #1 priority is to manage your career to get you through the next career milestone, and to make you as competitive as possible for your next promotion board. You should expect to have this discussion with your Detailer, and if you are unsure of your status—call! We have received feedback from many of our constituents who spend 30-45 minutes on the phone with the Detailer to learn the specifics of their career path and promotion competitiveness, and found the conversation to be one of the most rewarding and enlightening discussions they have had. We can’t provide guidance and mentoring unless you contact us.
3. Service Record Photos: MILPERSMAN Article 1070-180 still requires officer photographs to be maintained. The point of contact (POC) for photo submission to Official Military Personnel File is Records Management and Policy (PERS-313) at (901) 874-3407/DSN 882. Additionally, officers can upload their photo through MyNavy Portal (MNP). Navigate to https://my.navy.mil, go to “MyRecord,” “Other Record Sites of Interest,” and there the “Officer Photograph” tile can be found. When clicked, an electronic Officer Photograph form (NAVPERS Form 1070/884) opens and photos can be uploaded directly into the form and then submitted to the OMPF. Along with this new capability, the new Officer Photograph form will require members to use their DOD ID. A tutorial for this new application can also be found on MNP under the Officer Photograph link.
4. Fleet Nuclear LDO Distributable Inventory: We continue to suffer from multiple years of past under-accessions which are aging through the Lieutenant and into the LCDR ranks. Today, we have a -48% Fleet LDO LT inventory deficit. Looking forward, our biggest strain will be to fill the LCDR billets. Between FY21 through FY24, all spot-promote eligible LTs will be needed to fill LCDR assignments. To help mitigate this issue, we will be looking for strong performing LTs to step up and fill spot-promote LCDR assignments. Keep your career on track and stay competitive.
5. Dry Dock CO & XO Screenings and Distribution:
o Dry Dock CO: Prospective fills for this 6230 billet will be screened from the pool of submarine enterprise LDOs (except 6200s). The FY21 Drydock CO board will consider 6230, 6260, 6280, and 6290 personnel in YG 07 who meet eligibility requirements. Although a 6230 billet, this position is categorized like the submarine tender XO billets, where they are listed as 6280 CDR billets, but all non-nuclear submarine enterprise designators are eligible. To be considered for the Drydock CO screening, personnel must complete the command qualification card found within COMSUBLANT/COMSUBPACINST 1412.1, which also provides governing instructions for how to complete the qualification. Additionally, personnel who have converted to a non-submarine enterprise designator (i.e. 1820) are no longer considered.
o Dry Dock XO: We are no longer conducting screening boards for this assignment. 6200 personnel will be detailed to this billet via normal distribution processes.
6. 6290 to 1820 Conversion: At present, three 6290 officers have completely converted to 1820. To reiterate previous messages, converting earlier than later is beneficial, as it ensures more opportunities to navigate your career within the 1820 community.
Let us know what information you think we should include on the webpage or in our briefs.