Machinery Repairman (MR)
Shore/Sea Special Programs
***We are looking for motivated female Engineers to go Recruit Division Commanders (RDC)***
- Reference: MILPERSMAN 1306-900
- To request assignment, contact your detailer 15-13 months out from your PRD or submit NAVPERS 1306/7 Enlisted Personnel Action Request.
- Interested to go recruiting duty? Contact your detailer to verify if you meet the minimum requirements and to see what districts are available for you.
- Selections to NRD's will be on case by case basis until further notice.
- RDC tour offers great opportunities for top performing surface engineers. Benefits include
- $450/month Special Duty Assignment pay
- Additional annual clothing allowance of $220
- Free dry cleaning services while actively training a Recruit Division
- Opportunity to earn a Master Training Specialist qualification(similar to Warfare qualification on shore duty)
- Advancement rate to Chief and Senior Chief close to double to Navy-wide average for advancement
- Perhaps the best leadership job in the Navy
- Per the ACE evaluation RDC's will earn up to 24 college credits both upper and lower towards a bachelor's degree
- Detailers are authorized to offer up to 24 month sea duty credit for those Sailors who complete a 36 month RDC tour who reported to RTC beginning of October 2016.
- Sailors with a 36 month follow-on sea tour after completing a 36 month RDC tour, detailers may waive 12 months of sea duty for a total of a 24 month sea tour.
- Sailors with a 42 month follow-on sea tour after completing a 36 month RDC tour, detailers may waive 18 months of sea duty for a total of a 24 month sea tour.
- Sailors with a 48 month follow-on sea tour after completing a 36 month RDC tour, detailers may waive 24 months of sea duty for a total of a 24 month sea tour.
- Sailors with a 54 month follow-on sea tour after completing a 36 month RDC tour, detailers may waive 24 months of sea duty for a total of a 30 month sea tour.
- Sailors with a 60 month follow-on sea tour after completing a 36 month RDC tour, detailers may waive 24 months of sea duty for a total of a 36 month sea tour.
- Per MILPERSMAN 1306-954, upon completion of a full 36-month RDC tour, personnel will be guaranteed choice of coast assignment. To apply, a candidate must submit NAVPERS 1306/7 Enlisted Personnel Action Request 12-15 months prior to PRD.
- Please watch these few videos to help you make that vital decision.
- PRECOM billets are available for you to choose, please contact us for a possible tour on a pre-commissioned ship. Available platforms are LCS, DDG, and DDG 100x.
Sea/Shore rotations will be maintained whenever possible.
Military couples with dependents are required to maintain a current and workable family care plan.
Every effort will be made to achieve collocation within 1 year of the request; however, requirements regarding time on station, PST tours, obligated service, retainability, recently acquired skills, and training will all be considerations of the request.
The Sailor headed to sea duty will negotiate for orders using My Navy Assignment per NAVADMIN 231/17. Once the sea duty Sailor has been posted to a billet, the shore duty bound Sailor will be posted to a shore billet in the same geographic area as the spouse.
Per MILPERSMAN 1306-141
, Sailors assigned together as part of spouse co-location tours are eligible for VSDP; however, a request for VSDP will be considered a cancellation of their spouse co-location requests.
Voluntary Sea Duty Program (VSDP)
MR's are currently not eligible for Sea Duty Incentive Pay (SDIP)
VSDP is a voluntary program that encourages Sailors from all ratings and all pay grades to serve on Type 2/3/4 activities (subject to eligibility requirements and restrictions) to extend their enlistment in their current sea duty billet beyond their prescribed sea tour (PST), to terminate shore duty and accept new orders to a sea duty billet, or to accept back-to-back sea duty orders beyond their prescribed sea/shore flow (SSF). The sea duty assignment may be on board ships, squadrons, or other qualified sea duty assignments.
Sailors currently on sea duty should submit requests, NAVPERS 1306/7, for a back-to-back sea tour before entering negotiation window.
Upon receipt of NAVPERS 1306/7, the rating detailer will review the Sailor's eligibility for VSDP and forward the request to NAVPERSCOM, Enlisted Placement Management Branch (PERS-4013) for adjudication.
If request is approved, the rating detailer will contact the Sailor and directly negotiate with them using the current month's requisitions.
if no agreement can be made within 2 requisition cycles, the request will be returned disapproved.
There are significant changes to My Navy Assignment and the process to how Sailors are selected for billets as advertised on My Navy Assignment. It is critical that you understand the new selection process. These changes are delineated in NAVADMIN 231/17
Submit NAVPERS 1306/7 before entering your negotiation window.
One of the eligibility is not in receipt of permanent change of station (PCS) orders.
Request for extension in current command (type 1 and 6) is normally not solicited nor approved, except in times of PCS constraints.
Current Sea/Shore Flow
- A secret security clearance is required for all special program assignments (sea and shore).
- Overseas screening Letter of Intent (LOI) is no longer issued to sailors. Refer to NAVADMIN 088-18.
- Spouse Collocation does not guarantee a specific geographic area. Refer to MILPERSMAN 1300-1000 in verifying your eligibility.
- Update your contact information on My Navy Assignment. Updating your contact information will enable your Detailer to communicate more effectively with you while negotiating for orders.
- Increased Distribution Authority guidance is discussed in NAVADMIN 058/14.
- When leaving a phone message for your detailer, speak clearly and slowly, and don’t forget to leave a contact number.
- Use your Career Counselors for assistance. If there are questions they cannot answer, call your detailer.
- We are a mobile force! The Navy needs flexible sailors to tackle unique challenges throughout the world. Plan on moving and changing geographical locations during your career.
- Please note that NAVADMIN 231/17 requires Detailers to fill requisitions with qualified Sailors, even if it is during a Sailor’s first window of negotiations.
- NEC U32A is temporarily suspended until funding is available to stand up school.
Points of Contact:
MRCS Heil, E1-E9 Detailer, firstname.lastname@example.org