Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Command Career Counselors

Navy Personnel Command > Career Info > Transition > Command Career Counselors



Below are frequently asked questions and concerns by Command Career Counselors (CCC) regarding the transition process from the Active Duty Component to the Reserve Component (AC2RC), and the process to affiliate service members into the Selected Reserve (SELRES) or Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) in order to satisfy the reserve obligation requirement for Involuntary Separation Pay (ISP). If you require additional assistance after viewing this information, please contact MNCC at 833-330-MNCC (6622).



Q:  What role does the Career Transition Office (CTO) facilitate in the Enlisted AC2RC transition process?

Answer:   The CTO facilitates the transition of enlisted service members approved through Career Waypoints (C-Way) and the Delayed Affiliation Program. CTO serves as a conduit between the active separation authority and the Navy Operational Support Centers (NOSCs). The CTO will make the transition as smooth as possible by streamlining the transition process.


Q:  What instruction governs the Enlisted AC2RC process?

Answer:   Please reference MILPERSMAN 1306-1501, the governing instruction on the enlisted AC2RC transition via the CTO. 


Q:  What do I need to do to start the process?

1. The Command Career Counselor must submit a SELRES C-Way Reenlistment. 

2.  Once approved, submit the service member’s Reserve Affiliation Screening Checklist (NAVPERS 1306/97) to CCC should contact MNCC at 833-330-MNCC (6622) or if they do not have these documents.

3.  Complete and submit any other affiliation paperwork as determined by the CTO. The documents must be emailed to begin the transition process. The CTO will provide a signed Reserve contract and bonus page 13’s (if necessary).  

4.  Up to 21 days after the service member’s separation date, they will receive orders and transition package via their Transition Assistant (TA), carbon copying their new command.

5.  Once the service member receives orders, they are directed to contact their NOSC via e-mail to confirm their first drill date.


Q:  How does the service member apply for a SELRES quota if they currently have an approved Active Duty quota?

Answer:  Refer to MILPERSMAN 1306-1501 for information on returning an Active Duty quota to apply for a SELRES quota.


Q:  When does the SELRES C-Way Reenlistment quota expire? 

Answer:  60 days after a Sailor’s EAOS.


Q:  Will the service member be able to stay in their current rate when they transition into the Navy Reserve?

Answer:  Current manning levels play an essential role in determining if the service member will be able to stay in their current rate upon transferring into the reserve component.  The service member’s approval letter will indicate if the service member can remain in-rate or if a rate conversion is required. 


Q:  How do I find out the current manning levels for different rates in the Navy Reserves?

Answer:   Click the following link to view the SELRES Career Reenlistment Objectives, which provides current manning levels for the Navy Reserve.


Q:  How do I find out if the service member qualifies for an affiliation bonus?

Answer:    Refer to the current NAVADMIN that governs affiliation bonuses or the Navy Reserve Homeport link provided below. This link provides the most current information regarding reserve enlisted incentives, bonus policy, and information regarding current enlisted bonus eligibility. You can also contact the CTO directly.     


Q:  What Reserve benefits are available to the service member when they transition from AC2RC?

Answer:   Click the following link for more information regarding Reserve Affiliation Benefits, which provides in-depth information about Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP), financial incentives, Reserve Retirement, education, and Post 9/11 GI-Bill utilization and transferability:


Q:  If the service member doesn’t go through the Career Transition Office to join the Selected Reserves, what other option do they have to join?

Answer:   If the service member is denied a SELRES C-Way Reenlistment quota after all “looks” have been exhausted, or their quota has expired, the service member will have to contact their local Navy recruiter to affiliate with the Navy Reserve.  


Q:  What website can I reference to get more information about the SELRES community?

Answer:   Follow this link for information about the SELRES. This link provides information regarding the organizational categories that further define commitment status and responsibilities associated with joining the Navy Reserve: 


Q:  How can I get in contact with the Career Waypoints Helpdesk?

Answer:   C-WAY Help Desk:  (901) 874-2102; DSN 882-2102 or 882-5672; or  


Q:  How can I get in contact with a SELRES Enlisted Community Manager or a Technical Advisor?

Answer:  Contact MNCC at 833-330-MNCC (6622)


Q:  Must Sailors being separated under involuntary conditions affiliate as a drilling reservists to receive Involuntary Separation Pay (ISP)?

Answer:   No.  Affiliating in the IRR satisfies a member's reserve obligation requirement for ISP.


Q:  How does a Sailor apply for ISP?

1. Once the Sailor has been notified of involuntary separation (C-WAY, HYT, etc), the Personnel Support Detachment (PSD) Representative will verify the member’s eligibility  in accordance with OPNAVINST 1900.4, MILPERSMAN 1920-030, 1920-040, 1910-050

2. For Sailors that meet all requirements other than reenlistment, the Sailor’s command will forward the signed original of the Agreement to Serve, on NAVPERS 1070/613 to the supporting PSD/Personnel office for completion of the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD-214) and inclusion of the NAVPERS 1070/613 into the Official Military Personnel File (OPMF).

3. Commands will facilitate the verification of a working copy of DD-214/DD-214 (Service-2 copy).   Upon completion of the DD-214 verification, commands will forward a signed copy of NAVPERS 1070/613 (Agreement to Serve), C-WAY denial letter/Separation authorization (where applicable), and verified working copy of the DD-214/DD-214 (Service-2 copy to NAVPERSCOM (PERS-93) via email: Please notify PERS-93 if and when the member will be going on terminal leave.  An IRR Counselor can also be reached at 1-800-535-2699 or for additional assistance. 


NAVY PERSONNEL COMMAND: 5720 Integrity Drive, Millington TN 38055-0000
 Address Correspondence to: Attn: PERS-### or BUPERS-###
This is an official U.S. Navy Website
Need Career, Pay or Personnel help?  Call MyNavy Career Center: 833-330-MNCC, or 901-874-MNCC (DSN 882-6622), Email MNCC, MNCC Chat
Comments or Suggestions about this Website?  Email the Webmaster
Last Modified: 6/1/2020 6:58 AM
FOIA | US Navy | U.S. Navy Recruiting | No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy | Accessibility / Section 508 | Site Map