Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
1.   What are contact phone numbers PERS-835?
DSN 882
COMM (901) 874- XXXX
FAX - 2622
 Retirement Orders A-K
 Retirement Orders L-Z
 Age Waivers / Retire Retain / Reversions
 Highest Grade Held / BCNR
 PEBD / ACBD / ADSD / HPSD Updates
 SOS for Retirements
 Retired Pay Problems
2.   What happens if I'm retire-retained? Do I get a DD-214/When?  When can I sell back leave?  Does it affect my pay?
You get a DD-214 when you're finally released from active duty, after your retire-retain period per BUPERSINST 1900.8 (NOTE:  You need to be able to access secure websites to view the MILPERSMAN and other Navy instructions).  You can sell back leave (up to the 60 days in a career) per DODFMR Vol 7A Ch35 Table 35-1.  You must complete your retirement physical and SBP election prior to your official retirement date.  TAP class is recommended.  A detailed list of facts for retire retain is provided with the approval letter.
Since this program is so closely governed by policy and law, there is very little leeway in our process. 
3.   How many years commissioned service do I need? What's my required Time In Grade?
For voluntary retirement, all officers other than CWOs are required to complete more than 20 years of active service, of which at least 10 years was service as an active commissioned officer, per 10 USC 6323.   
CWOs must complete four years commissioned service if selected prior to 1 October 2013 and six years if selected 1 October 2013 or after.  Additionally, two years TIG is required prior to retirement eligibility as a CWO.
4.   When is my statutory retirement date?  When am I eligible to retire?  What will my retirement percentage be?
 Log onto BUPERS Online and access your ODC.  You can find the dates below to answer that question.  
    - ADSD (Active Duty Start Date).  Block 20 on your ODC.  Used to calculate your eligibility for active duty retirement, and your retirement percentage.  Per 10 USC 6323, you must have 20 years and one day to retire.  Thus, if your ADSD is 940307, you can request retirement 1 April 2014 (officers must retire on the 1st day of the month).   
    - ACBD (Active Commissioning Base Date).  Block 19 on your ODC.  Used to calculate your active commissioned service.
    - PEBD (Pay Entry Base Date).  Block 16 on your ODC.  Used to calculate your longevity pay (i.e., O-4 over 10).
    - Promotion Date.  Blocks 36-40 on your ODC.   Used to calculate your Time In Grade.
    - Date of Initial Entry Into Military Service (DIEMS). Used only to calculate what retirement plan you fall under.
Click on any of the block numbers while looking at your ODC for a description. 
If your ADSD, ACBD, PEBD or DIEMS is incorrect, scan and send via encrypted email to Pers 835. 
We can't calculate your percentage at PERS-835, the dates above are uploaded to DFAS.  They calculate the percentages based on your retirement plan.  DFAS has a retirement pay calculator that can be very helpful.
5.    How far ahead can I get my orders?  Can you send me a "letter of intent?"
Per MILPERSMAN 1800-020 and for fiscal reasons, orders are routinely funded and issued 6 months prior to retirement date.
No letters of intent will be issued.
6.   What does NPC provide for retirees?  Do you still send out the retirement certificates and the presidential certificate of appreciation?  What other types of certificates are available?  Where can I order them?
We mail a blank retirement certificate form to your command approximately 5 months before your retirement date.   The certificate is signed by the Chief of Naval Personnel (CNP).  Certificates from the President of the United States can be ordered through the Navy supply system.  The stock number for the Presidential Certificate of Appreciation (DD 2542) is 0106LF1273500 and costs around $32 per pack.  (NOTE:  When we send out the certificate signed by CNP, we use the addresses that are in the Officer Master File; these addresses are sometimes wrong.  If your command consistently misses mail from BUPERS, please have them contact PERS-455 and fix their address in the system!)  
If you have 30 years of total active federal military service, you are eligible for a letter of appreciation signed by the President.  We will submit a request to the White House Liaison, however, a good home and command address is needed for retiring members.
 Additional information for certificates and recognition can be found under the StayNavy link.
7.   I was passed over for promotion for the 2nd time (2xFOS); what now?     
Refer to current continuation policy.
8.   What is the current policy for house hunting and job hunting TAD, and how can it be combined with leave?  I heard I can carry over more than 60 days leave from fiscal year to fiscal.  Will the Navy pay to ship my HHG to any place I want to retire?
It is up to you and your command to work out leave, PTDY, etc.--our orders are cut for the day you actually get out of the Navy.  Currently, up to 20 days PTDY is authorized for all officers retiring INCONUS.  Members stationed outside of the continental United States (OCONUS) may receive an additional 10 days PTDY depending on whether a round trip will be made or not (up to 20 days involuntary separation and up to 30 days for retirement).  (Note:  The additional 10 days are to allow round trip travel to/from overseas locations and still provide adequate time for job/house hunting.)  
Navy will pay to home of selection, but not OCONUS.  Cost above and beyond any place you pick INCONUS would be covered by you.  Reference is:  JFTR Vol 1, para 5130a, Item 1.
9.   How do I submit a request?  Is it carved in stone then?  How do I modify or cancel my retirement?
      CANCELLATIONS AND MODIFICATIONS THAT CROSS INTO ANOTHER FISCAL YEAR (FY) ARE EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO GET APPROVED.  If you want to modify or cancel your request, send us another letter with command endorsement.  This request goes through the same staffing process as your original request; if approved, orders will be modified or cancelled as appropriate or a message will be sent to your command explaining why your request was disapproved.  If you must change your retirement date at the last minute (within 2 weeks of your date), notify your detailer also so they can push it through as quickly as possible.
10.  What retirement plan do I fall under?  How much will my retirement pay be?
Your retirement plan is determined from your Date of Initial Entry to Military Service (DIEMS), which is displayed on your LES; it's the date you first signed the oath of office or Enlistment Contract to enter the uniformed service.  
How much you'll be paid is based on different dates, mainly your ADSD--check out DFAS' website to reference the DODFMR.
The plans are:
Final Basic Pay – Service members whose DIEMS date is before Sept 8, 1980. ANNUNITY FORMULA – 50 percent of final basic pay after 20 years of service, 2.5 percent of each additional year.
HIGH-3 - Service members whose DIEMS date is between Sept 8, 1980, and Jul 31, 1986. ANNUNITY FORMULA – Same as above except 2.5 percent is applied to average basic pay for the highest three earning years rather than Final Basic Pay.
REDUX - Service members whose DIEMS date is after Jul 31, 1986.
ANNUNITY FORMULA – 40 percent of the average of highest three years’ basic pay after 20 years of service; 3.5 percent for each additional year served up to 30.
NOTE:  If you were reduced in grade for disciplinary reasons, you are not eligible for the HIGH-3 plan per 10 USC 1407 paragraph (f).
11.    What is a Statement of Service and where do I get one?
A Statement of Service (SOS) establishes the Active Duty Start Date (ADSD-used to calculate time toward retirement); Pay Entry Base Date (PEBD-used to calculate longevity pay, and is posted on the LES); "E" pay entitlement, if applicable; and for doctors/dentists, the Professional Service Date (PSD-used to calculate bonuses).
We only add in reserve points (drill points, correspondence courses, etc.) for officers who are retiring, not for new accessions or officers researching retirement eligibility.  Reserve points will increase your retirement pay multiplier, but are not counted toward retirement eligibility.
Calculating a SOS is very complicated due to the laws, policies, Comptroller General decisions, and many other references.  If you disagree with your PEBD, ADSD (which isn't on your LES--you have to check your ODC via BUPERS Online (BOL) or DIEMS (Date of Initial Entry to Military Service), then fax the documentation to us to correct your record.  We need the following documentation to give you credit for what you've earned: DD-214, Oaths of Office, Enlistment Contracts, etc.

12.  How much of my Reserve time counts toward my active duty retirement?
Per 10 USC 12731, active duty periods (AT, ADT, and ADSW) will count day-for-day, although we need specific documentation of the dates before we can give you the credit; if you don't have documentation of the dates, you will have to contact your Reserve unit or Navy Personnel Command PERS-912.  Reserve points are only applied to retirement percentage, and they're only added in at the time of retirement.
13.  Do you do Reserve retirements?
No.   Contact PERS-912 at (866) 827-5672. 
14.  Where is the DoD 5500.7R referred to in the MPM 1810-020?
This is the DoD ethics instruction.   Click here to go to OSD's Standards of Conduct website.
15.  How much leave can I sell back?  Per MILPERSMAN 7220-340 ONLY 60 days can be sold back during your entire career, they will be lost if not taken as leave.                                              
16.  How do I get a copy of my military record (or a deceased family member's record) if I've already retired?  Do you have any contact info for the record archives in St. Louis?
Click here to go to the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration website.  You can also call toll-free 1-866-272-6272. 
NAVY PERSONNEL COMMAND: 5720 Integrity Drive, Millington TN 38055-0000
 Address Correspondence to: Attn: PERS-### or BUPERS-###
This is an official U.S. Navy Website
Need Career, Pay or Personnel help?  Call MyNavy Career Center: 833-330-MNCC, or 901-874-MNCC (DSN 882-6622), Email MNCC, MNCC Chat
Comments or Suggestions about this Website?  Email the Webmaster
Last Modified: 8/25/2020 11:28 AM
FOIA | US Navy | U.S. Navy Recruiting | No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy | Accessibility / Section 508 | Site Map