Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Fleet Reserve/Retirement

Navy Personnel Command > Career Info > Retirement > Enlisted Retirements



Administers the policies, instructions and procedures for voluntary enlisted Retirement and transfer to the Fleet Reserve, including cancellations, modifications, and deferments.  Also, verifies active duty service date, pay entry date, and provides essential record data and related services from enlisted personnel records and files concerning Fleet Reserve/Retirement credit and Fleet Reserve transfers. 

Fleet Reserve - An enlisted member of the naval service who has completed a minimum of 20 years of active service in the armed forces may, at his/her request be transferred to the Fleet Reserve.

Enlisted Retirement - An enlisted member of the Regular Navy who has completed 30 or more years of active service in the armed forces may be retired by the President (10 USC 6326).  (Note: Members of the U.S. Naval Reserve who request retirement after 30 years of active service must transfer to the fleet reserve and transfer to the retired list the following day.)

Requests for transfer to the Fleet Reserve or Retirement are processed through the Officer Personnel Information System (OPINS) and can be submitted through OPINS, Naval Standard Integrated Personnel System (NSIPS), or Career Information Management System (CIMS) by the command or local PSD.


Retirement calculators for Active Duty and Reserve are available. 


Retirement/Fleet Reserve Submission Process

1.  Effective 1 January 2018, members with commands that have access to Navy Statandard Integrated Personnel System (NSIPS) Web are directed to submit requests through the Retirements and Separations (RnS) self-service function.  This provides transparency for service members on the status of their requests, an integrated waiver process when needed and electronic notification of the final disposition of requests for both members and the command.  Afloat commands without access are permitted to submit requests via the Officer Personnel Information System (OPINS)or the NSIPS Career Information Management System (CIMS) until upgraded to NSIPS Web-Afloat capability.
2.  Submit requests within the following timeline:
    a.  E6 and below:  6–18 months prior to requested date or;
    b.  E7 and above:  6-24 months prior to requested date
    c.  Retirement requests should be submitted 24 months prior to requested date
3.  To cancel or modify a previously approved request processed in NSIPS RnS, the member will access the request and select modify or cancel and reroute accordingly.  To cancel or modify a previously approved request processed through OPINS, CIMS or the NSIPS tool, CCCs should email an approved/signed Personnel Action Request (1306/7) to for processing.
4.  Request will be electronically routed to applicable Detailer and Enlisted Community Manager (ECM) for review/disposition advisement.  Administrative requirements include: eligibility verification, Statement of Service (composure) and issuance of final approval/disapproval of request.





NSIPS Process to check Retirement Status   

MILPERSMAN Article 1810-010

MILPERSMAN Article 1830-040

10 United States Code 6330 (Fleet Reserve)

10 United States Code 6326 (30 year retirement)



CONTACT INFO:  1-833-330-MNCC or 1-901-874-MNCC


NAVY PERSONNEL COMMAND: 5720 Integrity Drive, Millington TN 38055-0000
 Address Correspondence to: Attn: PERS-### or BUPERS-###
This is an official U.S. Navy Website
Need Career, Pay or Personnel help?  Call MyNavy Career Center: 833-330-MNCC, or 901-874-MNCC (DSN 882-6622), Email MNCC, MNCC Chat
Comments or Suggestions about this Website?  Email the Webmaster
Last Modified: 1/3/2020 1:55 PM
FOIA | US Navy | U.S. Navy Recruiting | No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy | Accessibility / Section 508 | Site Map