Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Reserve (Non-Regular) Retirements



What should I know about retirement?

Please reference the following document in preparing for retirement.  Retirement Information.docx

While PERS-912 is currently processing retirements based on Eligibility Date,  expect the retirement to be completed six months from receipt of a complete package. If you submitted your retirement application six months ago, your retirement has not been completed and have not been contacted by PERS-912, please contact the
My Navy Career Center
(1-833-330-6622) immediately.

**NEW: All documents received and entered into the PERS-9 database now generate an automatic email notification from the MyNavy Career Center to the service member acknowledging receipt.  If you are unsure if the MNCC has your correct name and address, and it is not in your submitted documents, you may contact them by phone at 1-833-330-MNCC (1-833-330-6622) or email at **

 Reserve Retirement Workshop Brief

"Reserve Pay and Benefits"

As of 03 May 2020
Due to Navy Reserve wide directives during the COVID-19 pandemic, all Retirement Transition Outreach events scheduled through JUNE 2020 are canceled.  This includes the following events:
5-7 May 2020 RAW in Millington TN  (3 day Retirement Awareness Workshop)
2-3 May 2020 RRCS at NOSC Memphis (May drill weekend Reserve Retirement Counseling Session)
We are putting together a plan for virtual sessions, to occur as early as June 2020:
6-7 June 2020 RRCS at NOSC Great Lakes (June drill weekend Reserve Retirement Counseling Session) 
6-7 June 2020 RRCS NOSC Norfolk (June drill weekend Reserve Retirement Counseling Session)
20-21 June 2020 RRCS at NOSC Washington (June "B" drill weekend Reserve Retirement Counseling Session)
We are currently still planning to hold the following remaining FY20 in-person session:
19-20 September 2020 RRCS at NOSC Everett.
Registration will remain open until the day prior to the event, as members and their spouse are welcome to attend at their own expense (i.e., there is no central pot of money for funding orders).  Registration simply better enables NR NPC preparations for attendees.
Uniform: Khakis or NWU Type III; spouses welcome to attend any event with sponsor (attire: business casual)
Please be on the lookout for planned FY21 events via your local NOSC or Program Office communications, GovDelivery, TNR, or Shift Colors magazines. 
For specific inquiries on your request to retire, please contact MNCC by phone at 1-833-330-MNCC (1-833-330-6622) or email at
Reserve Retirement Counseling Session POCs
CDR Sarah McGann ( and LTJG Aaron Bolin (


Retirement Awareness Workshop POCs

CDR Sarah McGann ( and LTJG Joshua Didawick (


Applying for Retirement with Pay

1.  Notification is forwarded in advance to advise you how to submit an application for retired pay at age 60. If you have not received notification four months prior to your 60th birthday, please contact PERS-912 by calling 1-833-330-6622. The earliest date retired pay may commence is your 60th birthday or the day after completion of 20 years of qualifying service, whichever is later unless early retirement is authorized under NDAA 2008. 

2.  The following forms must be completed and returned to PERS-912 at the address listed below.  You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader ( to view all of these files.

  • DD Form 108, Application for Retired Pay Benefits
  • DD Form 2656 , Data for Payment of Retired Personnel (All other versions are obsolete)

3.  Complete processing of an application normally takes several months. Please include your social security number on all correspondence. If you have a change of any information, before your 60th birthday, please report the update to PERS-912 by calling 1-833-330-6622 immediately.

4.  Mail all forms with original signatures to:

     Navy Personnel Command (PERS-912)
     5720 Integrity Drive
     Millington, TN 38055

5.  The following Instructions apply to the DD Form 108, items 9 through 17:  Detailed completion of these items is not required.  However, if these are not completed, you must write, across the corresponding spaces, a statement to the effect that you will accept records of service as maintained by the Department of the Navy.  Use of such a statement does NOT preclude your right to have records corrected, if necessary.

6.  If you are transferring to the retired pay status from a drilling status current policy requires endorsements from your chain of command.

7.  While ALL documents received and entered into the PERS-9 database now generate an email notification from the MyNavy Career Center, Retired with Pay submissions will receive an additional email acknowledging receipt of the complete package –OR– if the retirement package is incomplete, an email will identify any documents missing or incomplete.


Applying for Retirement without Pay

Applications for retirement without pay should be submitted per the format and timeframes listed in Figure 20-4 of BUPERSINST 1001.39F CH-1. 

A sample of the Format for Requesting Transfer to the Retired Reserve can also be found on the Forms for Download page.

IRR members applying for retirement without pay should mail their applications to PERS-912 at the address listed above or faxed to (901) 874-7044.

All others submit their request through NSIPS.  See your Command Career Counselor or Admin personnel for assistance.

When a Sailor requests Retirement without pay and they have received a NOE then you will process the retirement date as requested per BUPERSINST 1001.39F, CHAP. 20, paragraph 2014.  For example, if a Sailor has received a NOE stating they have reached their 20 qualifying years for non-regular retirement and they request to retire on Jan 1, 2019, then you will retire the Sailor on Jan. 1, 2019 with or without approval from PERS per BUPERSINST 1001.39F.
If a Sailor has not received a NOE and they request retirement prior to receiving their NOE, then they will be transferred to the VTU the day prior to their requested retirement date to await PERS approval.  They will not be allowed to drill in the VTU, they will need to be given AAs until PERS approval and they will not be eligible to request SGLI.  If the Sailors EOS will expire prior to approval from PERS, then you will extend them for no more than 6 months awaiting PERS approval. 
     This only applies to those Sailors who have requested non-regular retirement.


Benefits for Gray Area Retirees and Recipients of Retired Pay

As a Retired Reserve service member who has received a 20-year letter but has not received retirement pay, you may be eligible to receive gray area benefits. The following table shows these benefits compared to the full retiree's:  Benefits for Retired Reserve Members.

Identification Card (ID card) – To obtain ID cards you and your eligible dependents should go to the nearest card issuing facility with a copy of your retirement orders (and dependents’ birth/marriage documentation if not previously enrolled in DEERS).  This ID card includes commissary, theater and unlimited exchange privileges.  You may locate the closest facility either by dialing 1-800-538-9552, the person answering the telephone will assist or log into and search by your zip code.  You will be given the three closest card issuing facilities.

10 USC 12731 has been changed to allow qualified Reservists to start receiving retired pay earlier than age 60.  (See NDAA 2008).

Notification of Change of Address 

Retired Reservists who will be eligible for retired pay at age 60 (gray area) and personnel on the Retired List (receiving pay) are responsible for keeping Navy Personnel Command PERS-912 informed of their current mailing address.  If a temporary change of residence is planned and mail cannot be delivered promptly by means of the existing mailing address, the member should also inform PERS-912 of the temporary address at the beginning of the temporary residence period and of the return to the permanent address at the end of the period.

Contact PERS-912 by calling 1-833-330-6622 to update your mailing address.

Personnel receiving retired pay and former members must also notify the Director, Defense Finance and Accounting Service, U.S. Military Retirement Pay, 8899 E 56th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200, toll free number 1-800-321-1080.

Retired Pay Computations 

The following USA HRC website may be used as a tool to perform an unofficial estimate of Reserve retired pay: Retirement Calculation. You are not required to enter your name to perform calculations. 


Utilize our downloadable calculator in Excel format.

Retirement Calculator.xlsx

NAVY PERSONNEL COMMAND: 5720 Integrity Drive, Millington TN 38055-0000
 Address Correspondence to: Attn: PERS-### or BUPERS-###
This is an official U.S. Navy Website
Need Career, Pay or Personnel help?  Call MyNavy Career Center: 833-330-MNCC, or 901-874-MNCC (DSN 882-6622), Email MNCC, MNCC Chat
Comments or Suggestions about this Website?  Email the Webmaster
Last Modified: 5/14/2020 3:24 PM
FOIA | US Navy | U.S. Navy Recruiting | No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy | Accessibility / Section 508 | Site Map