Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

An official document submitted to NAVPERSCOM for filing in the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) becomes the property of Department of Navy (DON).  Except for administrative or clerical errors, documents filed in the OMPF may not be removed or changed except by authorization of Secretary of Navy.

    (1) If you find an error in your OMPF, you may request a correction to your service record.  You should submit your request to your local Personnel Support Detachment (PSD) or Personnel Office (PersO) for action since the error may be found in your OMPF, the Field Service Record, and in some cases other corporate databases.  Request must include a description of the information to be changed; the reason for the change; the type of change sought (i.e., deletion, correction, or addition); and copies of available documentary evidence supporting the request.  The PSD/PersO may make corrections to local records and/or submit changes to NAVPERSCOM in accordance with MILPERSMAN 1070-210, or in accordance with the regulation governing original document.  In general, the following types of corrections may be made, where appropriate.  Please read the FAQ section and the 'Contact Us' page before submitting requests for additional requirements.

  • Remove a document that was erroneously filed in your record, i.e., another member’s document filed in your record, or a document was filed in your record contrary to policy or regulation.  If this document is in your OMPF, you may request this type of correction directly from NAVPERSCOM.
  • Remove a document found in your record that is not legible, and replace it with a clean readable copy of the document (submit the new document under a cover letter to NAVPERSCOM.
  • Correct an error on a document when the correction is mandated by regulation (e.g. the regulation requires a specific word or code, such as a reenlistment code, but the clerk entered an erroneous code).
  • Correct an error on a document if it is readily apparent on the face of the document that a clerical error was made (e.g., evident a service member reenlisted for 6 years, but dates provided indicate only a 5 year reenlistment; reenlisted on 24 DEC 04 for 6 years (24 DEC 10) but contract indicates enlistment expires 24 DEC 09).  This is restricted to changes that “do not” create a retroactive pay entitlement (see subparagraph (5) below).

    (2) A document may be amended or supplemented by correspondence forwarded via official channels.

    (3) If the change requested is a material change or if change requested is not covered by the above paragraphs, the matter must be referred to the Board for Correction of Naval Records (BCNR) in accordance with MILPERSMAN 1000-150.

    (4) If the matter in question involves a matter of opinion, judgment or the exercise of discretion, such as a performance evaluation, refer it to BCNR.

    (5) The Comptroller General (CompGen) has consistently held that except for corrections made by BCNR, there is no authority to retroactively correct a military record in order to create a pay entitlement for a prior period.  If the change requested will create a retroactive claim for pay and/or allowances, refer it to BCNR.  Even if the error is an obvious clerical error, if money or entitlement is involved, refer it to BCNR.


Submitting Documents to be filed into the OMPF

See “Document Submission” for guidance on submitting documents to be included into the OMPF record.


The following MILPERSMANs provides guidance on correcting the Naval Record (see References for direct links):

MILPERSMAN 1000-130 Name Change of Member

MILPERSMAN 1070-020 Officer Permanent Personnel Record
MILPERSMAN 1070-080 Enlisted Permanent Personnel Record
MILPERSMAN 1070-210 Correction of the Field Service Record


NAVY PERSONNEL COMMAND: 5720 Integrity Drive, Millington TN 38055-0000
 Address Correspondence to: Attn: PERS-### or BUPERS-###
This is an official U.S. Navy Website
Need Career, Pay or Personnel help?  Call MyNavy Career Center: 833-330-MNCC, or 901-874-MNCC (DSN 882-6622), Email MNCC, MNCC Chat
Comments or Suggestions about this Website?  Email the Webmaster
Last Modified: 7/3/2019 12:44 PM
FOIA | US Navy | U.S. Navy Recruiting | No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy | Accessibility / Section 508 | Site Map