Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Decorations and Medals (Awards)

Navy Personnel Command > Career Info > Records Management > Decorations and Medals (Awards)
Important Notification:  The Navy Department Awards Web Service (NDAWS) website is no longer public, access is only available from a CAC enabled, NMCI machine.
For questions or issues related to accessing or navigating the NDAWS website, please contact (703) 695-9093. 

General Information

The DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY MILITARY AWARDS POLICY, SECNAVINST 1650.1J, establishes policy and procedures concerning awards available for recognizing individuals and units of the Naval Service.  The Chief of Naval Operations (DNS-35) is the Office of Primary Responsibility (OPR) within the Navy for implementing this policy, and maintains the Navy Department Awards Web-Service (NDAWS), which is the Navy’s authoritative electronic awards system.  NDAWS consists of a public website which provides online access to Navy Awards information and assistance, the Navy-wide awards processing application, and the ability for active duty members, veterans, and commands to search the Navy’s authoritative awards database.

How do I get an award certificate into my OMPF? Here are the steps, 1-2-3

  1. Check to see that the award has been entered into the Navy Department Awards Web Service (NDAWS) at Select 'personal awards,' then 'personal awards query' on the right.
  2. If it is reflecting accurately in NDAWS, print your full SSN in the upper right corner of the award, and send a copy to PERS-313 (Navy Personnel Command, PERS-313, 5720 Integrity Dr. Millington, TN 38055), or ask your command to mail it. That's it!
  3. If it has not been entered into NDAWS, or is in error, ask your admin office to contact the NDAWS authority for your command (or your command may be an NDAWS authority) for assistance. The NDAWS authority will authenticate the award with your assistance, along with your command, by following the policy guidance provided on the NDAWS Authority page of the website.  Once verified by NDAWS, they will mail a copy to your award to PERS-313 for inclusion into your OMPF.

What You Should Know About Awards And How They Are Filed In Your Records

Awards are documented in NDAWS, your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), Electronic Service Record (ESR), and on your Personnel Summary Records (PSR), and there are different requirements for each system.

PERSONAL AWARDS (Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal & Higher)

  • NDAWS authorities are to enter awards into NDAWS and mail a copy to NPC, PERS-313, for ingestion into the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF)(annotated with the member's SSN).
  • PERS-3 will validate each incoming award against NDAWS. If the award is not reflecting in NDAWS, it will be returned to the NDAWS authority or the Echelon II NDAWS Administrator if the NDAWS authority cannot be determined, for appropriate action.
  • NDAWS is the authoritative source for awards. Awards will not be ingested into the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) if they are not reflected in NDAWS.
  • Older awards not reflecting in NDAWS must be entered into NDAWS by the awarding authority's NDAWS authority, or the member's current NDAWS authority, after authentication. Authenticate awards by reviewing the permanent copy of the award.


  • ESR displays personal awards, unit awards and campaign/service awards.  Campaign/service awards issued prior to 2006 were entered on a paper NAVPERS 1070/604 and should be filed in your OMPF.  For unit awards and campaign/service awards issued after 2006, the award should be displayed in the Honors and Awards Section of your ESR and submitted to your OMPF on a paper NAVPERS 1070/880 Award Record when you reenlist or separate.
  • If errors are discovered in your ESR you must contact your servicing Personnel Office for assistance.  If they have proof that an award is missing, they can create a corrected copy of the appropriate document and submit it to the OMPF with justification.

OSR/PSR Updates for Awards

If the OSR/PSR is missing awards or if the awards listed on the OSR/PSR are incorrect, the Data Quality Management Branch at NPC can assist in updating those records.  The Data Quality Management branch manages the functionality and data contained within many of the Navy Corporate Data Systems.  Visit their page for information on requesting corrections.

Medals and Ribbons

Members on active duty and drilling reservists should receive the original award (medal/ribbon) from their commanding officer.

Replacements:  Navy Personnel Command, PERS-312A will (on a one time basis) replace medals and ribbons when they have been lost or destroyed, through no fault of the member or have become unfit for wear because of age/deterioration.  Replacement under other circumstances is the responsibility of the individual.

Veterans wishing to request awarded Decorations

Navy veterans to whom a military decoration has been awarded, or the immediate next of kin of a deceased recipient may also receive a replacement set of decorations on a one-time basis without cost if the previously issued medal, ribbon, or other device has been lost, destroyed, or rendered unfit for use without fault or neglect on the part of the recipient.  Miniature decorations are not replaced by the Department of Navy.

Veterans or next-of kin of deceased veterans can obtain and fill out SF 180, Request Pertaining To Military Records or write a letter to request replacement awards.  Each request should be filled out neatly and should include the veteran’s complete name used while in service, rank, service number, social security number, branch of service, dates of service (date entered and date released), and it should be signed by the veteran or the next of kin if the veteran is deceased. If using the SF 180, check the “Other” box in section II, paragraph 1, and enter “replacement awards”.  Provide supporting documentation such as discharge paperwork or the veteran’s DD Form 214.  Mail your request to one of the following addresses:

Veterans separated in or after 1998:

          5720 INTEGRITY DRIVE
          MILLINGTON, TN  38055-3120

Veterans separated before 1998:

            1 ARCHIVES DRIVE
            ST. LOUIS, MO 63138
NAVY PERSONNEL COMMAND: 5720 Integrity Drive, Millington TN 38055-0000
 Address Correspondence to: Attn: PERS-### or BUPERS-###
This is an official U.S. Navy Website
Need Career, Pay or Personnel help?  Call MyNavy Career Center: 833-330-MNCC, or 901-874-MNCC (DSN 882-6622), Email MNCC, MNCC Chat
Comments or Suggestions about this Website?  Email the Webmaster
Last Modified: 10/17/2019 7:00 AM
FOIA | US Navy | U.S. Navy Recruiting | No Fear Act | | Privacy Policy | Accessibility / Section 508 | Site Map