FY22-1 TPS Board UPDATE (18 Dec 2020)
The FY22-1 TPS Selection Board will convene on 24 February 2021.
Applications with command endorsements are due by 27 January 2021. Additional documentation (including Wing/CAG endorsements, letters of recommendation, FITREPs, etc.) will be accepted until 12 February 2021. For planning purposes, the FY22-1 TPS Selection board will only be selecting individuals to attend USNTPS.
For a positive command endorsement an applicant must be available for pre-arrival training on 1 June 2021 for fixed wing pilots, 28 June 2021 for rotary wing pilots, and 2 August 2021 for NFOs.
If not available to detach from parent command, but the losing command is willing to cover TAD travel costs for training, please have Command Endorsement state as much. This may be the case if candidate is receiving a high water FITREP at a later date that would preclude official detachment by pre-arrival training dates. Please reference sample CO’s endorsement template.
The optimum time to begin applying to TPS is just prior to or at the completion of your JO Sea Tour. The semi-annual selection boards meet between two and five months prior to commencement of pre-TPS training tracks. Ensure your detailer is aware of your intention to submit an application so he/she can assess community requirements and the possibility of delaying your PCS transfer until the TPS Board results are released.
Interested candidates should coordinate application plans with their respective community detailers, and should prepare an application in the format described in BUPERSINST 1500.62E.
- Apply for TPS!
- Do not mistakenly use the number of pilots/NFOs chosen from your community on one or more previous selection boards as an indication of what opportunity will be available on future boards. Selection opportunity always changes, so YOU SHOULD APPLY regardless of past board results or perceived "trends".
- Apply often...
- Continue to apply as long as you have career timing available (as described above).
- APPLICATION PACKAGES and ALL BOARD CORRESPONDENCE will only be accepted if submitted to the NPC CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTER (CSC). (email@example.com) Ensure that your application package is received by the NPC CSC no later than the due date in the NAVADMIN. Hard copy is desired, but if your package is delayed in delivery, fax or PDF attachment to make the deadline is acceptable.
- Items that must be received by deadline date:
- Signed application letter: must include TPS Program Priorities and POC Info (email & phone # for the applicant and his/her CO)
- Command Endorsement: CO's endorsement required; other chain of command endorsement(s) optional.
- College Transcripts
- Applications sent via U. S. Postal Service and via FedEx/UPS/DHL require use of different mailing/delivery addresses; see NAVADMIN for details.
- Letters of Recommendation & Endorsement:
- Letters from outside the applicant's chain of command are Letters of Recommendation. To be accepted, they must be referenced in applicant's Application Letter or accompanied by a Cover Letter from the applicant, requesting President allow board consideration of that/those letter(s).
- Letters from the member's chain-of-command are Endorsement Letters and do not require a cover letter of any kind. Note that a positive command endorsement indicates the command can/will release the selected officer for training and may not have a numerical relief until the original PRD.
- Most recent FITREP: If not yet posted to your permanent record, most recent FITREP should be submitted with original application. If not available at that point, fax to NPC not later than one week prior to the board convening date.
- FITREP Continuity, Award Citations, Special Qualifications, etc.: Visit your record via the Web-Enabled Record Review feature of BUPERS Online. Do not rely on Assistant Recorders to find and notify you about discrepancies in your record. They will be scrubbing a very large number of records in a very short period of time. As you have always heard, it really is YOUR responsibility to ensure YOUR record is correct and up to date.
- You should send all correspondence so it is received by the NPC CSC by the application deadline, not the convening date of the board.
CONFIRM RECEIPT of your application and all correspondence with NPC CSC! Confirmation is available online (choose "Selection Board Status" from the NPC CSC webpage), via phone or email