IG Hotline Process - STEP 1 - Determine the best method of addressing your issue
We encourage complainants to first attempt to resolve their issue using their chain of command unless they have reason to believe that they will be subject to reprisal or have already addressed the issue with their chain of command without proper resolution.
Many matters brought to the attention of CNAP IG are not appropriate for an IG investigation because there is another form of redress to resolve the matter. Before considering filing an IG complaint, your first step should be to attempt to resolve problems using the chain-of-command and other local resources. Seek assistance from the legal staff, union representative, chaplain, human resource personnel, equal opportunity advisor, your immediate supervisor, or your Commanding Officer (CO).
Should you exhaust all resources, you may still have questions regarding whether your issue is appropriate to report to report to the Inspector General’s Office. The following information is provided to assist you in determining if your issue is appropriate to report to the IG:
Matters Appropriate to Report to the IG
  • Abuse of authority/position
  • Bribes/kickbacks/acceptance of gratuities
  • Conflicts of interest
  • Ethics violations
  • False official statements/claims
  • Fraud/travel fraud (TDY and TAD)
  • Gifts (Improper receipt or giving)
  • Improper referral for mental health evaluations
  • Mismanagement/organization oversight (significant cases)
  • Misuse of official time, government property, position and public office
  • Political activities
  • Procurement issues
  • Purchase card/travel card abuse
  • Reprisal (military whistleblower protection)
  • Safety/Public Health (Substantial/Specific)
  • Systemic problems
  • Time and attendance (significant violations)
  • Waste (gross)

The following are a few issues that are NOT normally appropriate for the IG Hotline. Before submitting a complaint, please make sure your issue is NOT listed below.

  Matters NOT Appropriate to Report to the IG - Alternate Redress
Issue Redress​
Administrative Separations​
​Contact the Naval Legal Service Office for advice
​Report offenses to personnel within the chain of command authorized to receive complaints
​Board for Correction of Naval Records (BCNR)
​BCNR reviews all re-enlistment codes, all general courts-martial discharges, all physical or medical disability discharges, administrative discharges over 15 years old and Summary and Special Courts-Martial discharges over 15 years old.
Civilian Personnel Matters​
​Report the issue to the immediate supervisor and attempt resolution using the available alternate dispute resolution procedures. Contact your Human Resource Office or Human Resource Service Center for guidance concerning available grievance process
Criminal Matters​
​Report criminal matters to Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS), base or local police.
Dependent Support​
​(Failure of a military member to provide support): Navy Legal Service Offices can provide guidance and answers regarding non-support of military dependents.
Discharges (DD-214, medical, etc.)​
​If you are being processed for separation, address the issue to the chain of command.

If you are separated, contact BCNR. Navy and Marine Corps members who request review or upgrade of a discharge should seek redress from BCNR for all reenlistment codes, general court martial discharges and ALL discharges older than 15 years. Submit all other requests to Naval Discharge Review Board (NDRB).
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)​
​o   Military: Contact the Command Managed Equal Opportunity Officer (CMEO
o   Navy Civilian Employees: Contact your Human Resource Office, Human Resource Service Center, or Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) Regional Coordinator (see ADR) to discuss how to proceed.
Evaluations (Enlisted Members)​
​If you are still on active duty and receive an adverse evaluation, you may submit comments at the time you receive your evaluation. If you are still not satisfied, you may petition the Board for the Correction of Naval Records.

If you are out of the Navy, you may submit an appeal to the Commanding Officer requesting he/she change the adverse evaluation or submit an appeal directly to the Board for Correction of Naval Records.
​Navy civilian employees report violations to your chain of command by first notifying the chain of command or Human Resource Office.
Military members may be suspected of fraternization which is showing favoritism to a subordinate in the chain of command. See Fraternization.
Financial Obligations​
​Obtain a court order stating you or your children are entitled to receive support and provide the court order to your spouse and his/her Commanding Officer if he/she does not comply with the court order. Contact a Navy Legal Assistance Office if you have questions.
​Report the allegation to the chain of command.
Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA)​
​Contact your local Military Treatment Facility (MTF) Privacy Officer or the Tricare Management Activity (TMA) Privacy Officer for information concerning complaints filed regarding HIPAA violations.
Hostile Work Environment​
​Report a hostile work environment that involves discrimination or sexual harassment to your Equal Opportunity (Military Members)/Equal Employment Opportunity (Navy civilians) Advisor.
Hostile Work Environment absent discrimination or sexual harassment: 

Navy Civilian Employee:
o   Address the issue with your supervisor, your Human Resource Office, your union representative, file a grievance using the Administrative Grievance Procedure, or use Alternate Dispute Resolution.
Military Member:
o   Article 138 complaint against the Commanding Officer
o   Article 1150 complaint against a superior (other than the Commanding Officer)
Non-Judicial Punishment (NJP)​
​Contact the Legal Officer or Staff Judge Advocate for advice.
Sexual Harassment​
​Try to resolve the issue using the Informal Resolution System (IRS) or report the incident to your command, or the EEO/EO office.
See also: Equal Opportunity and Equal Employment Opportunity
For a more comprehensive list of issues that are inappropriate to report to an IG and  additional information regarding complaint resolution, please refer to:
Department of Defense Office of the Insepctor General: CLICK HERE.