VR Reserve Opportunities
Many squadrons have Selected Reserve billets available for pilots, flight engineers, crew chiefs, loadmasters, aviation maintenance professionals and support personnel.
For more information about specific units, contact the Wing or feel free to contact the squadron directly. For more information about the Navy Reserve, contact your local Navy Reserve recruiting office or go to: http://www.navyreserve.com/
Pilots: An applicant must be a winged military aviator and be eligible to join the Navy Reserve as a paid drilling Reservist. Selection boards are held periodically throughout the year.
Flight Engineers / Crew Chiefs: No prior experience is required, however an aviation maintenance and/or aircrew background is highly recommended. All applicants must be E-5 or above and be eligible to join the Navy Reserve as a paid drilling Reservist. Individuals selected will enter an initial course to become a FE-T (Flight Engineer Trainee) or a CC-T (Crew Chief Trainee). Upon course completion, individuals will continue with the FE or CC syllabus while participating in local training flights, air logistics missions and on detachment.
Loadmasters: No prior experience is required. All applicants must be eligible to join the Navy Reserve as a paid drilling Reservist. Individuals selected who are not qualified Naval Aircrew will enter an initial course to become a 2LM-T (Second Loadmaster Trainee). Upon course completion, individuals complete their 2LM syllabus while participating in local training flights, air logistics missions and while on detachment.
Maintenance Professionals: No prior experience is required on the specific airframe to be worked on. There are many opportunities for motivated individuals to serve in the following ratings: AD, AM, AE, AT, AZ, LS, PR, and AME.
Support Personnel: The squadrons in the Fleet Logistics Support Wing are fully operational. There are opportunities for motivated individuals to support our mission in a variety of ratings including PS, YN, NC, HM, and IT.
- Eligibility for the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill.
- Drill Flexibility. Typically, drill periods can be adjusted to accommodate civilian work schedules and operational commitments.
- Eligibility for Tricare Reserve Select.
- Abundant opportunity for operational flying. Every operational air logistics mission supports Fleet and Combatant Commanders worldwide.
- Opportunity to complete one or more 17-day detachments per year to any of three regular detachment locations: Sigonella, Italy; Atsugi, Japan; and Manama, Bahrain.
- Monetary bonus for some flying positions.
- Fly missions that really matter. The VR Wing regularly operates on 6 continents and dozens of countries worldwide and is routinely involved in humanitarian assistance and disaster relief missions.
- Fly diverse cargo loads including animals, weapons, vehicles, mail, and troops.
- Continue to serve in your Navy. After 10 years of active service, 10 more years of duty in the Navy Reserve could mean a retirement at age 60 of $26,000 per year for a Commander or $12,600 per year for a First Class Petty Officer.
- Space Available (Space A) travel benefits.
Discussion Groups & Announcements