Pre-Deployment Dependent Preparation Checklist
USFF recommends Military OneSource
, its Plan My Deployment
tool and its comprehensive Military Deployment Guide
as the single best one-stop-shop for reviewing your pre-deployment readiness needs. The Plan My Deployment
tool, in particular, can be used to create a master deployment checklist customized to you and your family's unique situation. At a minimum, the actions listed below are highly recommended
for most Navy families.
Prepare Documents (Legal Readiness)
- Review the RLSO Pre-deployment readiness brief.
- Refer your dependents to the Pre-deployment family readiness page of this site.
- Ensure dependent ID Cards are valid throughout the entire deployment.
- Designate an emergency caregiver in loco parentis in the event that the spouse at home is unable to care for children.
- Obtain free legal assistance from the DoD legal services office nearest you or an attorney participating in Operation Enduring LAMP to update your will, estate planning, powers of attorney and other legal planning documents (see Update these 6 legal planning documents before you deploy).
- Ensure all dependent data and POC information is correct in DEERs, Page 2 and NFAAS.
- Ensure Servicemember's Group Life Insurance (SGLI) is correct with up-to-date beneficiary information.
- Provide your complete official deployment mailing address to family and friends.
- Ensure your dependents have access to official copies of all of the following documents, as well as a record of your Social Security Number (SSN):
- Mobilization Orders
- Marriage Certificates
- Naturalization and citizenship papers
- Deeds/mortgages/lease agreements
- Birth Certificate(s)
- Social Security Cards
- Proof of Service (DD-214)
- Military records
- Vehicle title(s) and loan documents
- Tax returns
- Divorce decrees
- Court orders (support and/or custody)
- Vaccination records
- Powers of Attorney
- Passwords to online accounts (banks, DFAS, etc.)
- Asset records (bonds, mutual funds, CDs, insurance policies, etc.)
- Names and contact info for extended family, friends and regular service providers (home repairs, auto mechanic, etc.)
Prepare Health Care
- Ensure all dependents are enrolled in DEERs by checking online, calling 800-538-9552, fax: 831-655-8317, or by visiting a uniformed services ID card-issuing facility.
- Check with all family health providers for acceptance of TRICARE insurance (particularly if relocating your family during deployment) or else find a provider who does.
- Enroll your family in the plan that is appropriate for them.
- If children are to be born during the deployment, either a general or special power of attorney for the spouse left behind is required to enroll the child in DEERS.
- Ensure enrollment for dental care by calling 855-638-8371 or enroll online.
- Consider whether arrangements should be made for the care of elderly loved ones.
- Consider whether financial arrangements should be made for elderly loved ones.
- Consider putting home security measures in place.
- Check smoke detectors and replace batteries, as needed.
- Check that appliances are in good repair.
- Check that automobile is in good repair.
- Check on periodicity of auto inspection / registration.
- Make arrangements for household repairs.