Dependent Entry Approval
1. Dependent Entry Approval (DEA) is a Navy process to obtain permission from an area commander to bring dependents into a specific area. Approval/disapproval is based on Status of Forces Agreements (SOFA), family support capabilities and/or limited local support based on geographically isolated areas, and is only required for the areas listed in the link below. DEA is an area commander responsibility and all questions regarding DEA should be directed to the designated action address listed in the link below.
2. DEA must be used in conjunction with additional information/requirements listed on the DOD Electronic Foreign Clearance Guide website. In addition to DEA, many countries have other varying mandatory entry requirements and restrictions for service members and their dependents, such as VISAs, passports, SOFA stamps, NATO orders, etc., that are listed in the Foreign Clearance Guide (FCG). Sailors that are transferring to an overseas area, and their commands, are required to carefully check and comply with all area/country entry requirements in the FCG.
3. Requirements for passports, VISAs, and NATO travel orders (as applicable) are contained in the FCG.
4. All personnel executing Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders who desire to have family members accompany them to the locations listed in the link below must submit a request for DEA, independent of Overseas Screening completion (MILPERSMAN 1300-300 applies). The request must be submitted within 30 days of receipt of orders and no later than 4 months prior to arrival.
5. Navy Personnel Command posts this information for the convenience of the area commanders. Area commanders or their designated representative are responsible for the information below and can contact COMNAVPERSCOM Millington, TN via e-mail at email@example.com to update this website. Please do not contact Foreign Clearance Guide personnel to update Navy Dependent Entry information - they will refer you to Navy Personnel Command.
6. The following link lists the areas requiring Dependent Entry Approval: DEA TABLE
7. The following link contains a DEA Message template for your convenience: DEA Message Template