All officers are required to have a full-length color photograph in their official military file, according to NAVADMIN 265/18.
The preferred uniform is service khaki without a cover. When service khaki is unavailable, any regulation uniform is acceptable. Officers should have their photo taken at a Navy or Department of Defense facility.
When official facilities are not available, officers are authorized to use commercial sources. If commercial sources are unavailable, officer may submit any color photograph that complies with the requirements outlined in MILPERSMAN 1070-180. These requirements include:
• Display a full-length (head-to-toe), three-quarter view of the member (left shoulder forward).
• Use a plain, flat background to provide sufficient contrast to highlight details of the uniform.
• Printed photo must be four inches wide, six inches high. A menu or hand-lettered title board must be placed at or near the member’s left foot so it is clearly readable in the finished photograph, containing the following identifying data in two-inch high letters:
• Member’s last name, first name and middle initial(s).
• Grade, last four digits of the social security number, and designator.
• Date photograph taken (day, month, year).
An example of what should be included on the title board is:
OFFICER, FIRST, M.
17 APR 2011
Photographs must be attached to NAVPERS 1070/884.
Photographs must be mailed to:
Navy Personnel Command
5720 Integrity Dr.
Millington, TN 38055-3120
***Photos can be submitted electronically via My Navy Portal --> My Record --> Other Record Sites! ***