Stewards of the Sea Environmental Outreach Program
The Stewards of the Sea: Defending Freedom, Protecting the Environment exhibit opened on March 13, 2014, and is located on the 3rd Floor of the Nauticus in Norfolk, Virginia. The 1,000-square foot exhibit is a dynamic display that showcases how the U.S. Navy protects the environment while operating at sea.
Through the use of hands-on activities, games, videos, and immersive scenarios, visitors can:
- Scan the horizon through giant “Big Eye” binoculars to look for whales, dolphins or manatees
- Pretend to be a Sailor looking for enemy submarines using sonar
- Hear what marine mammal, man-made and natural sounds are like underwater
- Learn how whales are tagged and tracked for research
- See scientific research equipment used by the Navy to study the ocean environment
- Learn about environmental careers in the Navy
Our vision is to leverage content from this exhibit to create similar exhibits at museums nation-wide. This future expansion would enhance the Navy's environmental message from the Hampton Roads area to a broader audience.