Please click here to open the Welcome Aboard Package.
If you are under orders or have negotiated orders with your detailer to MAKIN ISLAND and have NOT received a Welcome Aboard email from the Commanding Officer, please establish contact with the crew by emailing the Sponsor Coordinator. Please include the following information in your e-mail:
Anticipated Arrival Date
Orders Date Time Group (located at the top of the orders) Here's an example:
RTTUZYUW RUCCBWF0322 0432320-UUUU--RHMCSUU.
R 120512Z FEB 09 ZYB (====>Date Time Group)
FM COMNAVPERSCOM ENLISTED ORDERS MILLINGTON TN//PERS409/PERS455//
Please answer the following questions to better meet your needs during your upcoming transfer.
- My name and rate is:
- Are you married or single; Spouse’s first name:
- How many children do you have?
- Are any of your dependents enrolled in the EFM Program?
- What age and grade are your children currently in?
- Will your family be traveling with you?
- Have you received a no-fee passport(s) and visa(s) for my family members (if required).
- Do you have any pets? If so Cat or Dog or other.
- Are you shipping your POV?
- Upon arrival, when do you intend to live? i.e. on base or local economy.
- Are you shipping household good (HHG)? If so how many pounds and where if any where your express shipment sent to.
- Please list your current contact phone number.
- Please list your current transfer date from your current command.
- Please list a good phone number or e-mail address to contact you during leave/transit.
- Please state when you expect to arrive.
- Please state specific concerns/information about your upcoming transfer.
Reporting Aboard Procedures
In Port - When arriving in San Diego, report in the uniform of the day to the Naval Station San Diego, located at 32nd St. The ship is currently residing at Pier 13. Contact USS MAKIN ISAND LHD 8 at (619) 556-4141, or Naval Station Information, (619) 556-1011, ahead of time will help reduce confusion. Before reporting to USS MAKIN ISLAND contacting the sponsor coordinator can help make your transition to the MAKIN ISLAND smoother.
Underway - Upon arrival you will be reporting to the transient personnel unit at BLDG 3142 Brunton Hall due to our underway status. The housing issue is very simple. As soon as you arrive you will need to show your orders and they will handle the rest of the process. You can also contact them in advance and let them know you are coming.
We are committed to helping you make USS MAKIN ISLAND (LHD 8) the best tour of your Navy Career!