Ship Information Ship Crest
The United States is symbolized by the bald eagle whose wings are out-spread beyond the shield to denote the scope beyond her own shores and of the U.S. influence for stability in affairs world-wide. The Border signifies unity and cooperation. The gold is the universal symbol of excellence.
The naval officer’s sword and a Marine Corps mameluke are crossed diagonally to represent strength and cooperation.
The star of six points represents all ships to bear the name Boxer. The octagon charged with a gold star recalls the eight battle stars won by USS Boxer (CV 21) for action off Korea, here symbolized by the Taeguk (symbol from the Republic of Korea’s flag) that bears the star. The wreath of laurel stands for honor and the maintenance and pursuit of peace.
The sixth ship to carry the name BOXER would be the fourth ship of the Wasp class multi-purpose amphibious assault ship (LHD). Fabrication work for LHD 4 began at Litton-Ingalls in Pascagoula, Miss. July 9, 1990. The ship’s keel was authenticated April 8, `99` and the ship was launched Aug. 13, 1993. The ship was officially christened the USS Boxer (LHD 4) Aug. 28, 1993. After post-launch outfitting and testing, Ingalls delivered the ship to the U.S. Navy Nov. 21, 1994. Boxer began its service to the Navy as its fourth LHD Feb. 11, 1995 almost four years after its construction began. The First Boxer
The first Boxer in American history was actually Her Majesty’s British Ship (HMBS) Boxer, a Brig of 14 guns with a keel measuring 98 feet in length and just over 28 feet in width. Commanded by Captain Blyth, HMBS Boxer was sailing off the coast of Portland, Maine Sep. 5, 1813 when she was met by USS Enterprise, commanded by Lieutenant William Burrows. The fight that ensued was heroic for both ships, and in the end Boxer’s crew surrendered her to U.S. forces.
In January 1815, Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry endeavored to build a squadron of four ships to aid fighting in the Mediterranean resulting from the War of 1812. The newly refurbished HMBS Boxer – renamed USS Boxer – would be one of these ships. The USS Boxer was launched May 17, 1815 with a new array of fourteen 32-pound cannons and two long 9-pound cannons. She was first commanded by Lieutenant John Porter who sailed her to the Mediterranean to join Commodore Perry’s squadron.The Second Boxer
The second Boxer was the first USS Boxer built from the keel up. Constructed as a schooner, the second Boxer – sister ship to the fourth Enterprise – was launched Nov. 22, 1831 at the Boston Navy yard. The ship was 99 feet long, 23 feet wide, had a battery of 10 guns and cost the Navy $30,697 to build. The USS Boxer served the Navy for 17 years, sailing the seas of the world until decommissioning in 1848. The Third Boxer
The third Boxer was an English-built iron “side-wheeled” steamer and was originally known as the Tristam Shanty. It measured 222 feet in length and 23 feet in width. The Tristam Shanty was used by the Confederate military to run blockades the U.S. had established during the Civil War. However, she was captured by the USS Kansas May 15, 1864, then purchased by the Navy from the Boston Prize Court and commissioned into service as the USS Boxer Aug. 12, 1864.
The Fourth Boxer
The fourth Boxer was a training brigantine launched Oct. 11, 1904 by Portsmouth Navy Yard in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, sponsored by Miss Helen Drury. The ship was commissioned May 11, 1905 with Lieutenant Hillary H. Royall in command. Until Oct. 20, 1912 Boxer served as a training vessel at Naval Training Station, Newport, R.I. Boxer then shifted to the U.S. Naval Academy where she remained until June 25, 1914 when she returned to Newport. Boxer continued in service at Newport until she transferred to the Department of the Interior May 14, 1920.
The Fifth Boxer
USS Boxer (CV 21), a Ticonderoga/Essex-class Light Aircraft Carrier was the fifth American warship to carry the name Boxer. CV 21 was first laid down by Newport News Shipyards Sept. 13, 1943, and was launched Dec. 14, 1944 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co. The ship was commissioned April 16, 1945, with Captain D. F. Smith as her first commanding officer. Completed too late to take part in World War II, Boxer joined the Pacific Fleet at San Diego in August, 1945.
WASP Class Amphibious Assault Ship
Built By: Ingalls Shipbuilding, Pascagoula, Mississippi
Keel Laid: April 8, 1991
Commissioned: Feb. 11, 1995
Beam: 106 ft.
Speed: 20+ Knots
Length: 844 ft.
Displacement: 40,500 tons
Accommodations: 1,174 Crew, 2070 Troops