The fifth USS Boxer (CV 21) was launched 14 December 1944 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va. and commissioned 16 April 1945 with Captain D. F. Smith as the first Commanding Officer.
Completed too late to take part in World War II, the USS Boxer joined the Pacific Fleet at San Diego in August 1945. The Boxer engaged in normal peacetime duty until the outbreak of the Korean conflict in 1950. She was pressed into service to carry planes to the fighting, provide air support for the troops. Her planes supported the landing at Inchon, took part in heavy strikes against North Korea and many other actions in the Korean conflict. Boxer was reclassified CVA 21, attack aircraft carrier, on October 1952. Boxer received eight battle stars for her service off Korea.
After the Korean conflict USS Boxer was converted to an anti-submarine warfare carrier and re-designated as CVS-21 on 15 November 1955. Boxer was one of the first “helicopter carriers” and was used to test many other amphibious warfare concepts as well. During the remainder of her service she participated in many major operations, exercises and humanitarian missions.
Boxer was decommissioned on 1 December 1969 and removed from the Navy listing on the same date.
For more detailed history on the fifth USS Boxer visit the Navy Archive page