USS Coronado (PF-38), a Patrol Frigate, was launched 17 June 1943 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Los Angeles, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract and commissioned 17 November 1943 with Lieutenant Commander N. W. Sprow, USCG, as the first commanding officer.
Coronado arrived in Australia March 1944 for convoy escort duty to New Guinea. After escorting troop and cargo transports to Manus to support the landings there, she returned to the New Guinea area for operations in the western part of that island, taking part in landings on Biak, Cape Sansapor and Morotai. She also joined in the Leyte operation and served on escort and patrol duty between Leyte and New Guinea.
Coronado was decommissioned 12 July 1945, and transferred to Russia under lend lease. Returned to the United States at Yokosuka 16 October 1949, Coronado was placed in reserve there until 14 January 1953 when she was transferred to Japan under the Mutual Assistance Program.
Coronado received four battle stars for World War II service.
For more detailed history on the first USS Coronado visit the Navy Archive page at http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/c12/Coronado.htm