We encourage complainants to first attempt to resolve their issue using their chain of command unless they have reason to believe that they will be subject to reprisal or have already addressed the issue with their chain of command without proper resolution. 
Start at the lowest possible level and use command channels before elevating them to the next higher level.  Discuss your problem with members in your chain of command such as the legal staff, union representative, chaplain, human resource personnel, equal opportunity advisor, your immediate supervisor, and Commanding Officer.  Our experience has shown, with exceptions, that commands are responsive to complainant's issues.
Military members may want to bring the issue to the attention of:
     His/Her immediate or second level supervisor
     Department Head
     Commanding Officer
Civilian personnel may want to bring the issue to the attention of:
     His/Her immediate or 2nd level supervisor
     Commanding Officer
     Local Human Resource Office
     Human Resource Service Center, etc.
If you are unable to resolve the matter using the chain of command, you may consider filing a formal grievance.  These grievance procedures differ depending on your employment status.
Military members may consider filing one of the following grievances:
     • Equal Opportunity (EO) complaint, if you think you have been sexually harassed or discriminated against.
Military members who feel they have been reprised against by a superior in their chain of command, may file a Military Whistleblower complaint with DoD IG or the Naval Inspector General.
Navy Federal civilian employees may request assistance with grievances through:
     • Your Human Resource Office or Human Resource Service Center