Who is eligible for the Leaders to Sea Program?
Nominees must be in good health and not prone to seasickness. Our guests must be capable of walking up and down steep stairs (known as ladders) throughout the ship. If you have back or joint problems, it is not recommended you participate.
This program is designed for people who are active and influential in business, government or the community, as well as people who are active communicators and opinion leaders.
Examples of eligible nominees are:
• Presidents or Chief Executive Officers of corporations and businesses Presidents/Deans of colleges
• Influential civic, business and community leaders
• Government officials • News media owners/publishers
• Religious leaders
• Leaders of significant, broad-based organizations who have not had previous exposure to Naval surface operations
• Educators (Typically coordinated with a specific NRD)
Examples of ineligible nominees would be:
• Pregnant women • Children under 18 -- our cut-off age is 70 (due to health and safety concerns)
• Spouses who do not meet the above criteria on their own
• Middle managers or general office workers
• Your best friend's secretary's son-in-law's cousin
• College students
If you have questions about potential nominees, please ask before nominating someone. Due the popularity of the program, not all nominations will be selected. Our selection process will only accept the best-qualified nominations. It is vital that you read and understand the medical disclaimer.
Please keep in mind that "Leaders to Sea" embarks generally consist of an early morning helicopter flight to a U.S. Navy ship off the coast of Southern California, an aggressive tour and enjoyable lunch on board, and a return to San Diego at approximately 4 p.m. the same day.