ASHLAND takes its name from the Lexington, Kentucky estate of Henry Clay, one of our Nation’s greatest statesmen. It was designed by Benjamin H. Latrobe who rebuilt our Nation’s Capitol at Washington D.C. after it was burnt during the War of 1812. The name ASHLAND and Henry Clay are synonymous with determination.
The Original USS ASHLAND (LSD 1) was built by the Moore Dry Dock Company, Oakland, CA and commissioned June 16, 1943. The first Dock Landing Ship (LSD) built, was at the time the largest vessel ever designed for amphibious warfare. LSD 1 earned seven Battle Stars during World War II for participation in Pacific Campaigns.