A starboard bow view of the guided missile frigates (from left to right) USS TAYLOR (FFG 50), USS SIMPSON (FFG 56) and USS ELROD (FFG 55) moored at Bath Iron Works Corp. on the day of the TAYLOR's commissioning ceremony.
- Keel Laid: May 5, 1983
- Launched: November 5, 1983
- Commissioned: December 1, 1984
- Builder: Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine
- Propulsion system: Two General Electric LM 2500 gas turbines, two 350 Horsepower Electric Drive Auxiliary Propulsion Units
- Propellers: One
- Blades on each Propeller: Five
- Length: 453 feet (138 meters)
- Beam: 47 feet (14.32 meters)
- Draft: 24,6 feet (7.5 meters)
- Displacement: 4,100 tons
- Speed: 28+ knots
USS TAYLOR is one of the many OLIVER HAZARD PERRY class frigates. She is the first ship named in honor to the late Commander Jesse Junior Taylor.