PRIVACY AND SECURITY NOTICE
1. [Name of service (e.g., “Website Title”)] is provided as a public service by [name of the DoD Component(s)].
2. Information presented on this service not identified as protected by copyright is considered public information and may be distributed or copied. Use of appropriate byline, photo, and image credits is requested.
3. For site management, information is collected [Link “information is collected” to description of specific information. An example is provided after paragraph 8. in this figure] for statistical purposes. This U.S. Government computer system uses software programs to create summary statistics, which are used for such purposes as assessing what information is of most and least interest, determining technical design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas.
4. For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, software programs are employed to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
5. Except for authorized law enforcement investigations and national security purposes, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits beyond DoD websites. Raw data logs are used for no other purposes and are scheduled for regular destruction in accordance with National Archives and Records Administration Guidelines. [Agencies subject to Reference (o) shall add the following sentence to this paragraph: “All data collection activities are in strict accordance with DoD Directive 5240.01.”]
6. Web measurement and customization technologies (WMCT) may be used on this site to remember your online interactions, to conduct measurement and analysis of usage, or to customize your experience. The Department of Defense does not use the information associated with WMCT to track individual user activity on the Internet outside of Defense Department websites, nor does it share the data obtained through such technologies, without your explicit consent, with other departments or agencies. The Department of Defense does not keep a database of information obtained from the use of WMCT. [If the DoD CIO has provided explicit written approval to use Tier III WMCT, cite that approval here.] General instructions for how you may opt out of some of the most commonly used WMCT is available at http://www.usa.gov/optout_instructions.shtml.
7. Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this site are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1987 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act (18 U.S.C. § 1030).
8. If you have any questions or comments about the information presented here, please forward them to [contact information to report both technical and information problems with the website specifically, including accessibility problems].
Information Collected from [Name of site or “This website”] for Statistical Purposes
xxx.yyy.com -- [28/Jan/2008:00:00:01 -0500] “GET /Defense/news/nr012708.html HTTP/1.0” 200 16704 Mozilla 3.0/www.google.com
xxx.yyy.com (or 184.108.40.206)-- this is the host name (or Internet protocol (IP) address) associated with the requester (you as the visitor). In this case, the requester is coming from the xxx.yyy.net address. Depending on the requester's method of network connection, the host name (or IP address) may or may not identify the user’s specific computer. Connections via many Internet Service Providers (ISP) assign different IP addresses for each session, or only connect to the Internet via proxy servers, so the host name may only identify the ISP. The host name (or IP address) may identify a specific computer if that computer has a fixed IP address.
[28/Jan/2008:00:00:01 -0500] -- this is the date and time of the request
“GET /Defense/news/nr012708.html HTTP/1.0” -- this is the location of the requested file
200 -- this is the status code - 200 is OK - the request was filled
16704 -- this is the size of the requested file in bytes
Mozilla 3.0 -- this identifies the type of browser software used to access the page, which indicates what design parameters to use in constructing the pages
www.google.com -- this indicates the last site the person visited, which indicates how people find the requested file.
Requests for other types of documents use similar information. Unless otherwise stated, no personally-identifiable information is collected. .