Welcome Aboard USS PORTER (DDG 78), homeported in Rota, Spain. Your assignment to PORTER will challenge you to be your best. Hard work to support the Navy's finest warship is rewarded with success and excellence. We look forward to having you as a member of our team. If you currently have orders to USS PORTER, your first step is to have a sponsor assigned to assist you. Your sponsor can help answer any questions you have about the ship and the Rota, Spain area.
SPONSOR INFORMATIONPlease notify the Sponsor Coordinator at email@example.com. Our Command Master Chief is also available to assist you at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are married and your spouse has any questions, have your spouse contact PORTER's ombudsman via email at email@example.com (Rota) or firstname.lastname@example.org (stateside). Please keep in contact with your sponsor for any assistance you may require during your transition to Rota, Spain and provide him/her with all pertinent information that will make your transfer smooth: dependent’s information, number of pets, date of travel, copy of your port call, etc.
All active duty members must be screened for overseas sea duty prior to transfer. Dependents must also be screened at a military treatment facility by a qualified physician (not an IDC). HAND CARRY the medical screening paperwork with you to Rota Hospital Patient Admin for check in upon arrival. Be advised that the final approval for dependents overseas screening is Naval Hospital Rota, Spain. It is imperative to start the screening process early. If enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP), please notify us as soon as possible.
If you are new or relocating to the Rota, Spain area, you should communicate with the Housing Service Center Rota at +34-123-258-258. Families are required to obtain temporary accommodations upon arrival. Temporary accommodations are available at the Navy Lodge, Gateway Inns and Suites or approved commercial facilities. Rota’s Housing Service Center has a limited number of units reserved for temporary lodging for families. These units are ideal for families with pets. They are conveniently located on base, and occupancy is permitted beyond the 30 days. Applying for on-base family housing may be submitted at the Housing Service Center (HSC) or prior to arrival using the Housing Early Application Tool (HEAT) application, which can be found at http://www.cnic.navy.mil/heat. HEAT allows the HSC to place the service member on the waiting list. HEAT does not give priority on the waiting list. If an application is submitted within 30 days of arriving, the member’s effective date on the waiting list is the date of detachment from the last permanent duty station. Applicants need to be confirmed upon arrival.
SAVE YOUR MONEY! All pays, allowances, and reimbursements are going to take time to process. You will need money to cover basic needs while waiting for all of these pays to process. In addition, if moving off base and out in town, you will need advance rent and deposit to sign a lease.
Be advised. Make sure your and all dependent military ID cards are current. If close to expiration, get new ones.
It is strongly recommended that active duty members apply and obtain a tourist passport prior to their arrival in Rota if they don’t already have one. International travel (even on duty status) can be challenging, if not impossible, without a passport.
Upon your arrival, please report directly to the USS PORTER quarterdeck. If the ship is underway upon your arrival to the area, check in with DESRON 60 at DSN 727-2818 or Commercial +34-956-82-2818.
For Check-In To PSD And Security, Please Bring The Following Paperwork:
- MEDICAL OVERSEAS SCREENING
- OPNAV N130 (OR N451) LETTER AUTHORIZING SPONSOR TO MOVE FAMILY TO ROTA IN ADVANCE OF THEIR PERMANENT CHANGE OF STATION (IF APPLICABLE).
- POWER OF ATTORNEY (ONLY IF ACTIVE DUTY SPONSOR WILL NOT BE PRESENT)
- PCS ORDERS
- MILITARY AND DEPENDENTS ID CARDS
- UPDATED PAGE 2
- US DRIVERS LICENSES
- NO FEE PASSPORTS (FOR ALL DEPENDENTS)
- PAGE 13 (BASE ADMIN IN BLDG 1 WILL GENERATE THIS, THEN BRING IT TO ALL OTHER OFFICES FOR CHECK-IN)
If You Are Bringing A Vehicle To Spain, Please Bring The Following:
- VALID US REGISTRATION
- VALID US DRIVERS LICENSE
- VALID VEHICLE INSURANCE CARD (GREEN CARD) (NOTE: USAA CAN ISSUE OVERSEAS INSURANCE FOR SPAIN, OTHER COMPANIES MAY ALSO)
- VALID US LICENSE PLATES ON THE VEHICLE
- POWER OF ATTORNEY (IF ACTIVE DUTY SPONSOR WILL NOT BE PRESENT)
- SPONSOR NEEDS TO BE PRESENT TO ATTAIN A SPANISH CAR REGISTRATION AND RECEIVE PERMANENT EUROPEAN UNION LICENSE PLATES. CAR MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR PICKUP IMMEDIATELY IF THIS IS DESIRED, SO IF YOU WANT TO DO THIS, SHIP YOUR CAR SOON SO IT MAKES IT TO EUROPE BY THE TIME YOU ARRIVE IN ROTA. WITHOUT THIS PERMANENT REGISTRATION, DEPENDENTS WITH VALID STATE DRIVER’S LICENSE WILL BE GIVEN A WAIVER TO DRIVE FOR 45 DAYS, HOWEVER, VALID US PLATES ARE REQUIRED ON THE VEHICLE.