Report in the uniform of the day to USS Laboon. Keep your assigned sponsor informed of your travel arrangements, including a cell phone number and personal email. We want your transition to the USS Laboon to be as smooth as possible! If you have not been contacted or made contact with a sponsor prior to your planned date of reporting aboard, email email@example.com to talk to our Command Career Counselor or firstname.lastname@example.org and talk with our Command Master Chief. Be sure to include your name, sponsor's name if assigned, rate/rank, leave address, estimated arrival time, phone numbers, and email addresses with each correspondence.
If you happen to arrive and the main gate security personnel inform you that the ship is underway, report to Transient Personnel Unit, 1683 Gilbert St. Norfolk, VA 23511 (757) 444-1640, and they will begin processing your for arrival to the ship or perhaps hold you until the ship returns to port.
Flying into Norfolk, VA (airport code ORF)
You will find a Navy representative on duty in the Airport Information Booth to assist you. The booth is manned from 7:30 a.m. to midnight seven days a week. Uniformed military personnel have the information about all bases in the Hampton Roads area, transportation, duty office telephone numbers and emergency assistance numbers. They can assist you with transportation to the ship. Worst case scenario, you might have to take a taxi to the ship, so it would be a good idea to have at least $20 with you upon arrival as different transportation arrangements run between $10 to $20 to the Norfolk Naval Base from the airport.
Driving to Norfolk Naval Base
If you drive, regardless of direction, you will approach Norfolk on Interstate 64. Follow the signs to Norfolk Naval Base on Interstate 564. Interstate 564 will turn into Taussig Blvd as you approach the base. Turn left at the third light, Hampton Blvd, and then turn right at the first light, Gate 5 (Surface Ships and Submarine Force). Ask at the gate which pier the ship is at and directions from there. Naval Station Norfolk recognizes all DOD decals. You are not required to obtain a Norfolk decal while assigned to the USS Laboon, provided you have a valid decal from another base. To obtain a vehicle sticker/pass you can call Naval Station Norfolk at (757) 322-2976, 322-2974, or 322-2978. The gate personnel can issue temporary passes if the pass office is closed during your arrival time.
LABOON Arrival Checklist:
- Ensure you have a sponsor so you can ask specific questions; if you do not have a sponsor, email the Command Master Chief as above.
- Ensure you have a full sea bag.
- Contact the Housing Referral Office for Naval Base Norfolk, (757) 445-2832 or DSN 565-2832. They will assist you with on or off base housing.
- Contact the Personal Property Office at Naval Station Norfolk for information on your inbound personal property shipment. (757) 443-3700, DSN 646-3700
- Have other issues? Contact the Fleet & Family Support Center, Norfolk Services Hotline at 444-NAVY (6289). They can handle many questions such as Ombudsman assistance, Developmental Disabilities Assistance, Child Care Information, Parenting Education and Support Groups, Financial Education, Job Information Center and Job Search Assistance for spouses (Branch Office Virginia Employment Commission), Relocation Assistance, Crisis Intervention Counseling, and Chaplain Assistance.
Useful Local Contact Phone numbers (all in 757 area code):
- Active Duty and Family Members (Non-Tricare) 677-6000
- Family Members (enrolled in Tricare) 1-800-931-9501
- CHAMPUS Information, National 800-365-5954
- DEERS 800-538-9552
- Naval Base Operator 444-0000
- Naval Station, Norfolk Navy Relief Society 423-8830
- Thrift Shop, Naval Station 423-8845
- Child Development Center, NAVSTA, Norfolk 444-3239/3379
- Naval Station Norfolk Commissary 423-3188
- Naval Station, Norfolk Exchange 440-4598
- COMNAVBASE Hotline 444-BASE (2273)
- Direct Deposit Inforina6on 800-554-7998
- Ombudsman Information 444-2102
- Ships Information, Norfolk 444-0000
- Naval Station, Norfolk Red Cross (24 hrs.) 440-1111
- Alcohol Hotline 490-3980
- Chaplains Center, 444-7361
- Child Abuse/Neglect 444-NAVY
- Runaway Hotline (24 hrs.) 424-6800
- Shore Patrol 623-2291/2/3
- State Police 424-6820
- Suicide/Crisis Center All Hampton Roads 399-6393
- Navy Lodges Naval Station Norfolk 489-2656
- CONUS reservations 800-628-9466