Welcome aboard and congratulations on your orders to the USS BARRY (DDG 52). You are joining an outstanding crew and a proud ship. Barry is equipped with the most advanced weapons and surveillance systems in the world, and has the hottest running crew in the fleet.
I am looking forward to having you as a member of our team. Your new Command Master Chief, CMDCM(SW/AW) Jones can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and can give you your new sponsor’s contact info. In order to ensure a seamless transition and relocation, please provide your sponsor with the following information:
- Total years of service
- Previous assignments
- Martial status
- Number/ages/relationship of dependents
- Any special family member needs (EFM)?
- Do you desire government quarters?
- Leave and arrival intentions
- Leave address, phone number rand email
In the event that we are not in homeport upon your arrival to Norfolk, please report to Transient Personnel Unit located at 1683 Gilbert Street Norfolk VA, phone number (757) 444-1640, for further routing and direction.
Your new mailing address will be:
Rate/Rank Full Name
USS BARRY (DDG 52)
FPO AE 09565-1270
Useful information about the Norfolk area can be obtained from the following sites:
- Relocation info on the internet. Command, Navy Region, Mid-Atlantic has established a relocation and assistance website for military members and their families transferring to the Hampton Roads area, http://www.navynorfolk.com.
- Fleet and Family Support Center Norfolk, http://www.ffscnorva.navy.mil.
- Child care resource and referral, http://www.nsa-norva.navy.mil.
- For emergencies or assistance after hours call (757) 444-Navy or toll free 1 (800) FSC-LINE.
- Navy One Source. Navy One Source is a new 24-hour a day, 365 days a year information and referral program the military community can use to gain information on almost any topic from child care to schools to relocation and much more. Go online at http://www.navyonesource.com the user ID is “Navy” and password is “sailor”. In the U.S. call 1 (800) 540-4123 outside of CONUS 1 (800) 540-1233 and international collect (484) 530-5917.
If you are married or have children, I would like to extend a warm welcome to your family members. I look forward to meeting them at the earliest opportunity. You can contact our Ombudsman via email at USSBarryOmbudsman@gmail.com. Our support group leader can be contacted at email@example.com. The Barry care line is accessible 24-hours a day at (757) 444-3647 or toll free 1 (800) 442-0789. If we can be of assistance, do not hesitate to contact any of the above contacts.
Please ensure that you have completed the following items prior to your transfer from your current duty station:
- Ensure you have a current sea duty screening.
- Ensure your audiogram and all immunizations are current.
- Have a current eye examination (within twelve months).
- Ensure your dental status is T2 or better.
- Retain all original receipts for expenses in connection with your travel and bring them with you when you report for duty for your travel claim.
If traveling via air, we well pick you up at the airport if the ship is import and you need ground transportation. Please information your sponsor if you need a ride. If the ship is underway, the approximate cost of taxi fare from the Norfolk International Airport ranges from $25.00 to $40.00 depending upon the number of persons traveling and is reimbursable through your travel claim. Please keep as much of your plane ticket residue and NAVPTO itinerary as possible.
If you are a single parent with custody of your children, or married to another military person with children, ensure that your dependent care certificate/family care plan is current within the past three months prior to transferring.
Once again, please accept my sincere welcome aboard. I am confident you will find your tour on board USS BARRY to the most professionally and personally rewarding of your career. Welcome to the team, Barry Bulldogs!
CDR T. Dickinson
USS BARRY (DDG 52)
Commanding Officer's Philosophy