The mission of Destroyer Squadron TWENTY TWO is to conduct sustained underway operations and exercise tactical control of cruisers, destroyers and frigates during exercises and deployed operations.
When deployed as part of an Aircraft Carrier Battle Group, Commander, Destroyer Squadron TWENTY TWO (COMDESRON TWENTY TWO) serves as a Principal Warfare Commander, planning operations and tasking Battle Group assets. Typical Warfare Commander Assignments include:
- Sea Combat Commander (SCC)
- Undersea Warfare Commander (USWC)
- Anti-Submarine Warfare Commander (ASWC)
- Surface Warfare Commander (SUWC)
- Tomahawk Launch Area Coordinator (LAC) Mine Warfare Coordinator (MIWC)
- Maritime Intercept Operations Coordinator (MIO)
- Helicopter Element Coordinator (HEC)
- Submarine Operations Coordinating Authority (SOCA)
- Surface Action Group Commander (SAG)
- Commander Task Force / Task Group (CTF/CTG)
COMDESRON TWENTY TWO is administratively assigned to Commander, Naval Surface Forces, U.S. Atlantic Fleet in Norfolk, Virginia. Operationally, COMDESRON TWENTY TWO reports to Commander, Carrier Group TWO, also homeported in Norfolk, Virginia.