Naval Facility Point Sur
January 1958 - October 1984
Naval Facility Point Sur, California was commissioned 8 January 1958. During its twenty-six years of operation, it provided continuous support to Undersea Surveillance. Located twenty-five miles south of Monterey, California along scenic Highway 1, the facility was manned by ten officers, ninety-six enlisted and 18 civilians. The command was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation in 1969, the Efficiency “E” in both 1977 and 1983, and was also rated as the top Naval Facility in 1983 by COSP, achieving the system’s first “clean sweep” of operations, maintenance, and efficiency awards given by the task group commander. NAVFAC Point Sur was decommissioned 1 October 1984 upon remoting to NAVFAC Centerville Beach.