Naval Facility Pacific Beach
May 1958 - September 1997
Naval Facility Pacific Beach, Washington was commissioned as a shore activity on 14 May 1958. The Commanding Officer’s house was built on the site of the once-famous Pacific Beach Hotel, the Northwest’s most romantic “Honeymoon” Hotel in the early 1900s. With outbreak of World War II, the Navy and the Air Force moved in and used the site on and off as a regional headquarters, gunners school, radar station and, finally as a Naval Facility. Naval Facility Pacific Beach had an allowance of 12 officers, 115 enlisted and 15 civilians. After twenty-nine years in a fully operational status, NAVFAC Pacific Beach was remoted to NOPF Whidbey Island and decommissioned 1 September 1987.