Naval Facility Nantucket
August 1955 - June 1976
Naval Facility Nantucket was commissioned 1 August 1955 and was located at Tom Never’s Head, the southernmost tip of the island, approximately twelve miles from the town of Nantucket, Massachusetts. The island, fifteen miles long and four miles wide, is surrounded by eighty-eight miles of sandy beaches. The Gulf Stream and encircling ocean modify the climate, producing warmer winters and cooler summers, and which combined with quaintness and charm, make the island a tourist mecca with a summer population of 30,000. The NAVFAC operated for twenty-one years and was decommissioned 30 June 1976.